How many colors are there in one bit that I choose 32 in settings ?? - General - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

How many colors are there in one bit that I choose 32 in settings ??

slrr

[Today I read in the newspaper that Panasonic produced a plasma with more than 48 billion colors. So if today's chips only provide 32 bit (around 4.5 billion colors)

So where is the logic ???

And another question that interests me now is that there are cards that support 64 bit (not of bandwidth). So how many colors are there and is the method different from RGB?

Link to content

Some clarifications I hope will answer your question:

1. Color is not represented by a bit (or "bit" in the dialect).

Digitally, each color is represented by combining different levels of colors red, green, and blue.

2. Each bit is capable of representing two modes (0 or 1), but the computer assigns to each color not only one bit but 8 bits - this is called a byte.

3. Byte contains 8 bits, and if we try to assemble all possible combinations of zeros and unity with 8 bits - we can get different 256 options.

Basically the rule is that N-bits have 2 in the power of N modes.

4. Because each color gets one byte for its representation, 256 can display "shades" or levels of each color according to the color we want to display at the point.

3 bytes are essentially equal to 24 bits, because each byte consists of 8 bits. You may wonder now - why does the computer have the option for 32 bit?

4. The 32 bits are created because we add more bytes to the previously mentioned 24 bits - the other bit is used to determine the ALPHA level which is the transparency channel.

You can see an example of a transparent color in windows .

Hope I helped something, and a good night.

Link to content

Another little thing:

Some screens are physically able to display much less than they claim. The common example is TN screens that are actually able to display only 6 bits of any color (not 8), which means only 262144 colors. By interpolation (using a number of adjacent pixels to simulate certain colors) it is possible to display many more colors. It is reasonable to assume that the plasma in question is built on the same principle.

Link to content

The technique Shnitzel talks about is called Dithering, and it is now very common on TN-based LCD screens.

Another technique used today is FRC - FRAME RATE CONTROL.

A Google search will cost more information.

good day.

Link to content

By the way, it does not bother the screens manufacturers to advertise that their screens reach 16.2 or even 16.7 million colors when in fact they do not scratch even a quarter of that with Dithering (this is in addition to the dynamic contrasts that even to the same contrast only the manufacturer can get in his "lab" ).

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site