The Complete Guide to Using MSI Afterburner - Overclocking and Cooling - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Complete MSI Afterburner Guide

djelectric

Complete guide to usingMSI Afterburner

The graphics card is at your own risk, please be careful.

Meet the Afterburner:

msiafterburnerid.png

The software was written on the popular RIVATUNER engine and is designed to speed up all modern video cards X1800 \ 6000 and above.

The software can be downloaded from here:

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Settings

Clicking on the Settings button will open the settings window where you can find the following settings:

general:

generaltab.png

In the first part you can select the option to apply the settings set in the software to all the identical cores (of course this is done in the CFX \ SLI array)

The second part is running the software with Windows startup and thumbnail activation or standard.

The third part is very important, without the marked options (as in the picture) will not be accessed and change voltage

For video cards that support programmed voltage change, it is important that this option be selected.

fan:

fantab.png

Here the fan function can be set according to temperature, this setting ("check box") overrides the default settings set in the driver or on the bus.

It is important to find the correct balance between the percentage of the fan's operation and the resulting noise. At rest you can set a fan on low percentages

(Of course after full control over the temperature) and thus save unnecessary head circumstance. During the effort the card gets warmer and of course more fan work is required.

Therefore the profile should be adjusted close to the overclocking in order to produce the best ratio between performance and noise.

Remember that there are Whose fan can not be regulated so it does not matter. (To check, drag the fan in the software and listen to noise,

If it gets louder your fan is indeed adjustable and monitored. The graph works like a slide, the higher the rise the more core it will be difficult to reach a higher temperature and "slide" down.

At the bottom of the card can be seen the possibility that actually determines how often (milliseconds) software will update the fan according to the core temperature.

Here, of course, as little control as possible will be closer to the temperature and prevent cases where the speed of the fan will be updated after the core heat,

It is very helpful to use a low number 500-1500 when loading a hard effort test in one shot and do not want to risk a warming.

Monitoring:

monitoringtab.png

At the top you can set in milliseconds the time we want the graphs to be updated in the image (1000 ms is one second).

One second is the optimal time for a system in normal use, in case of operations Or performance test and want to bring out more accuracy can be changed at least.

Keep in mind that the more the graph is updated, the faster the software will require more system resources. But, the software hardly takes resources so it's negligible.

The advantage of a slow update is that after exiting an app you can look at changes that have occurred for a longer period of time.

In the middle section you can mark what we really want to see in the graphs, from the core temperature, the core frequencies and the memory, the voltage, the speed of the fan and even the number of frames per second (FPS) in a particular application.

The third part allows you to define the maximum value in the graph that you marked in the second part. For example, in the picture, I defined the maximum value in the graph to the core temperature of the card to be 75 degrees Celsius.

The last section allows you to view the card status in different ways. An on-screen display, an icon in the starting toolbar, or a data display on the Logitech keyboard with LCD screens.

Data view:

onscreedntab.png

In the first box you can set a key combination which will allow you to see the video card temperature within .

In the second and third is actually a situation where you can set separate buttons to activate and cancel the temperature display.

Checking the last box will actually allow you to view the clock (defined by the system) as the core temperature.

Profiles:

profilest.png

In this catalog we actually set the key combinations that will run our saved profiles. (More on this below)

Also in the second part you can determine which profiles will be loaded into two-dimensional mode and mode .

User Interface:

uinteface.png

The latest card index can be changed in a language, choose whether to display or hide bubbles and help when you mouse over parts of the software.

At the bottom you can change a theme, the themes in a letter of different colors and in different sizes, the classic is the silver-green that you see in the discussion title.

Execution of overclockingAfterburner:

Ok So in order to start speeding up the card we need software that will help us create an effort on the card, so that we can see if everything is stable

And which software is better than ATITOOL. My reason for choosing ATITOOL is very simple. The software detects artifacts and of course creates pressure that is big but mild on the graphics card, more powerful pressure than any game, but not one that will "burn" the card like the OCCT or FURMARK test.

The ATITOOL can be downloaded from here.

atitool.png

I know there is a version called KombASTor which is an add-on to AFTERBURNER but I recommend avoiding it because it is as intense as FURMARK.

** Remember, FURMARK previously caused a material destruction of , Both ATI cards and NVIDIA cards **

Let's start quickly:

Pressing the button to scan the artifacts at ATITOOL will begin to adopt the card, we will automatically enable the card in the watch buttons to pass 10-15 minutes,

So we can get basic information about the card to be executed .

stocki.png

So here we are after 15 minutes that adopts STOCK.

The card I use is the manufacturer's HD5850 card . The standard card, no special version.

350__1_sapphire-5850.jpg

So I set up a more intense fan profile than you can see in the picture above, so I can continue on Overclock without the temperature rising, only the percentage of the fan.

fanspeed.png

In order to activate the profile I set, I pressed the "User Define" button (on the right), making the frame green. (It's also important that the Auto button is on)

Start of haste:

I use the same good old method, not touching anything except the core clock, moving each time gradually 10MHZ, after I added 10MHZ I Stress testing (which is also an arteptic scan) for 10 minutes - fifteen minutes and then on. On the HD5000 series, for example, you can start by jumping 20-25MHZ and 3-4 jumps to start with small jumps of 10MHZ. As well as the GTX470 card.

Overclock Maximal:

oc1j.png

So here is the maximum overclocking I reached after small additions of frequency and stability test, after I finished with raising the frequency to the core I started to raise the frequency to memory and this is the end result.

First of all I loaded the core clock to a maximum of 835MHZ (about 110MHZ addition) without incident and then I started overclocking to the memories, where I got to 1250MHZ (about 250MHZ extra) stable.

Above 1250MHZ there is really nothing to look for, due to mistakes another calculation will be made so 1250MHZ is the maximum of the maxi, above it we will not gain performance here.

Cards It is not different, after finding a watch Maximal and clock Maximum can be done For shaders.

Remember - The chidren above all will inevitably undermine the core's overclocking capabilities, the most significant part of performance.

Without the addition of voltage at the end of the road (a significant addition of performance), do not advance unless ...

Override the CCC limit for ATI cards *

Go to the main folder of the Afterburner program and enter the Afterburner.cfg file using Notepad

Go to EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0 and change "0" to "1", save the file and it should do the job.

Advanced Overclocking - with extra power

** Overclocking with extra power increases the core temperature significantly and therefore should be monitored more **

** Increment of voltage increases the power consumption of the card and therefore make sure that the power supply quality and provides the required amount of electricity **

** Not all graphics cards support power up, if you have a video card with a different PCB and may not be supported **

** The extra voltage adopts the parts of the card considerably and may damage the card, so be careful and take it into account **

So we stuck in 835MHZ to the core, the memories we leave now, where to continue?

The output voltage on my card is 1.087V, so I bring it up slightly to 1.11V, so you can continue to raise the core frequency.

Each time we receive an artifact or a plug, we will raise the voltage a bit, for example from 1.11 to 1.15V and from there to 1.18V and so on.

With each voltage lifting we will continue to raise the frequency until the demand for additional voltage increase and here it is recommended to jump only at 5MHZ each time.

Overclocking with extra power:

ocmax.png

The correct balance between voltage and frequency is to be found. For example, 1.35V's voltage gives the 1030MHZ a stable frequency but has a significantly higher power consumption and of course a very high temperature. So here, I locked on a frequency of 1002MHZ (about 277MHZ addition to a stopper) stable to the core at 1.27V voltage, even though 1.25V is stable to ensure stability. The ratio between the fan and the core temperature is optimal for me, as 70-71C in full effort and as 62-65C effort in the game, Cypress core can handle it easily, excellent temperature in use of The Stock.

Save to profile:

Okay, so we've finished our Overclocking, how can we load it from a ready profile?

It's very simple

profilesave.png

Pressing the SAVE button will cause the profile boxes to flash, press one of the numbers to set the profile location.

To load the profile you can select a key combination (see profile card entry ^) and thus actually switch from overclocking mode to games only

To the state of the stok watches, which use POWERPLAY technology for desktop use and rest.

** Remember - the power-efficient POWERPLAY technology will work only when the manufacturer's settings are on the card, meaning the Stock profile **

Create a combination of keys that will load the automatic stok profile, so you will save yourself effort and the POWERPLAY technology will work.

To delete a profile hold the Ctrl key along with the number (1-5). Pressing the lock button will lock the possibility of changing and deleting a profile.

Questions and Answers:

Q: Is the software only for MSI video cards?

A: No, the software is designed for all GeForce 6000 Series video cards And the ATI X1000 series

Q: I can not find an option to change voltage even though I have checked the options option to change, why?

A: there are Which have been manufactured with a different printed circuit board (PCB) and contain a sample voltage stabilizer which is not supported by the software and therefore to a degree

And want to perform advanced overclocking purchase a video card which is supported (advanced versions of For example or any standard reference card like the one I use here).

Example of a card with a different PCB:

http://www.tweak.dk/uploads/0911/sapphire_nu_med_vaporx_radeon_hd_5870_og_hd_5750_image_2.jpg

This is all you need to know in order to take your card to the next level of performance, hope you will find great use of the guide,

Dj-ElectriC

: DJsmile:

Editing: It's fine if you respond, that's why this discussion is open to everything from suggestions, insights, everything.

Link to content

• תגובות 58
  • Opens on
  • Last comment

Prominent participants in the discussion

Prominent participants in the discussion

Thank you very much for the guide. Very invested, nice, and serious, I worked with MSI BURNER the other day, I still do not understand a few things, like the game with the game Menu name, what if I upload the memos to more than 1024?

Link to content

Thank you very much for the guide. Very invested, nice, and serious, I worked with MSI BURNER the other day, I still do not understand a few things, like the game with the game Menu name, what if I upload the memos to more than 1024?

Memory chips in the HD5800 series are the same and so everyone's Overclocking ability, there should be no problem taking the memory from 1000 to 1200 easily.

Memory in HD5850 and HD5870 are at the same point even though the stock in HD5870 is 1200 vs. 1000

But for overclocking These cards have a really small part in improving performance, I would say up to 10%

Edit: much77, 1024MB It's the volume of memory and not its frequency, you can not make up what volume you have in this chip what you have.

Link to content

• 3 weeks later ...

Power consumption increases significantly. For example, the HD5850 needed effort was programmed here as 155W at about the stock ticks.

When voltage is raised, for example, to the 1.25V region, the consumption passes through the 200W (!) Line and when we go to the end of the scale to 1.35V and a frequency of 1GHZ +

Electricity consumption goes through the 250W (!!!) so it is very important to understand this.

For you LOL card as I said in the past is not a reference and therefore (at least right now) can not control the tension

But this is a double-edged sword, maybe it's impossible to control the tension, but this disadvantage has 101 advantages. First of all, this card does not make 835MHZ a kernel like a reference card but rather a 900MHZ. In addition, due to low voltage the card is not needed as a reference card at this frequency, meaning at least 35W less. At the same time, the core is cooler and the massive cooling is easy to deal with.

How can one bring stress? Look for a VMOD pencil, but it is really extreme and requires professional knowledge and tools in order not to burn the card.

Link to content

• 3 weeks later ...

All cards This is how, just for that there is the link button to the right of them (see picture at the beginning of the manual) :)

By the way, I mention again, that the last runners are in the Overclocking queue. First of all and then .

Overclocking to the shaders before the memory will only be done if the core is at such a high frequency that it is necessary to raise the frequency of the chiders in order to continue to raise its frequency.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Amazon's parade continues

Amazon's parade continues

Come and be impressed by another list of great prices for quality hardware products and gadgets that can make your credit cards work overtime