Learning for an old brain? Or when did you last learn something engineer? - Study and Job Offers - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Learning for an old brain? Or when did you last learn something engineer?

Sargon

I finished my degree from the Technion almost ten years ago.

During the degree I suffered a bit but I felt that my brain had developed. The development also stemmed from learning new knowledge (mainly math), but also a lot of homework.

At the beginning of my studies I had to pay someone to help me solve homework and tests. Toward the end of my studies, I solved all the exercises myself and even exercises that the practitioner had difficulty with.

I certainly felt that my brain had developed.

The question is what now ... I do not feel effort or learn new things especially at work or even games that I develop at home.

Most of the fact that my experience is an accumulation of experience and I also learn new things in retrospect like what I could do better and better vision of software systems, or just things in the graphics that I develop and learn ...

But I have the feeling that I am not developing the thinking as in the glory days of the Technion (or the days of darkness ...)

I need to feel the neurons in my brain waking up again ...

The problem is that it is much harder to learn new things as you get older.

I'm not sure whether it's because of age or because of the stressful and busy life.

So what do you say? No need to hurry? Can you learn at 60? Should we learn now that later it will be more difficult?

How do you keep your mind and learn things that challenge you mentally and not just things you're used to?

I'm mostly interested in math and programming, but philosophy is also useful.

What about you? Have you stopped teaching seriously after the university or is there no time or will?

Link to content

What is NZT? Sounds like Sam ...

I do not smoke or drink so drugs for entertainment do not interest me.

If you have not tried or activated the brain for the reward you receive then the reward is empty (like funny Facebook stots).

Link to content

The sense of intellectual development in the first degree is indeed unique. Further development is in advanced degrees.

And, you can learn new subjects even in a non-formal setting, but that's not it - nothing simulates learning and environment conditions like a busy semester of 24 points where you squeeze your brain to the last drop.

Link to content

• 4 weeks later ...

I signed up for a few courses at the Kursa.

It was nice.

Recommend two courses a year.

One with a connection to what you learned first to deepen and update your knowledge and the other on another subject in general.

I would be happy if you update here what you did at the end ...

Link to content

• 4 weeks later ...

How did I not see this thread before ...

My advice - take a good math book on a subject that interests you and you have not learned it properly (Topology, for example, assuming you are not a mathematician and did not do a course in it), and just read it, chapter here and chapter there. If home drills are worth investing effort and trying to at least solve some, you can also call solutions of the rest. It works well, (even during the semester for those who are masochistic :P). What is clear is that the amount of material that is absorbed is also less than a semester - no test, one source learning, and the scope of the material is often significantly greater than a respectable course.

It works of course when you love to read and learn from it. This definitely sharpens the storage, but not everyone will work. And it's very interesting if you choose the right theme.

As well as equal subjects in physics or biology or history or anything that interests you. But there's nothing that swirls the mind like a good math book. Besides, there are subjects in the geometry that you have acquired can be relevant to what you do (but do not build on it).

Graduates can also pose all kinds of mathematical challenges and try to solve them with the tools they have, or understand that they do not have the tools to go to the book and learn something that might advance you to a solution.

Sounds like you have time for this, and more importantly, motivation. Full of great books on all the interesting subjects, then it's worth a try for me :)

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site