Critique of the Technion for First Degrees - Studies and Job Offers - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Criticism of the Technion for first degrees

Sargon

What is your definition of student investment? Personally, I did not expect any special investment. There were hours of admissions for lecturers and exercises for questions and help, it seemed enough.

By the way, I did a degree in computer science, without math. 

Link to content

There are far more students in Interdisciplinary Park in Herzliya.

I heard from someone who studied at the Technion and moved to my fields, they study the same material and finish a degree faster.

It's not that mathematics at the Technion is different from mathematics anywhere else.

True, your title is less considered in the job market of gray societies, but you come out with more knowledge and absorb more material that will help you in life.

Link to content

Do you mean that in a private college where students pay tuition 3-4 times higher then there are more resources to invest in each student?

In any case, from the experience of conduct that you describe is correct to all the universities in the country that think that the main goal is theirs is research so that studying undergraduate students is some secondary task that most professors do not really want to perform and the truth that they were not trained to do.

Edited By etal
Link to content

Quote of Sargon

I hardly heard of a nose Development Significant in computer science at the Technion in the last fifteen years. Compared to full developments at other universities around the world. The Technion students are apparently gray and not as productive as her teaching staff.

Eli Ben Sasson? zerocash? An amazing vision, may not save humanity but it certainly has the potential to reduce the overall pike around, in every area. I am not a man from DMH but his lecture was good, understandable and very clear what the application options are. 

Quote of Sargon

In short, the Technion does not bother to invest in "ordinary" students, and they are not excellent because it believes that all the discoveries and all the important things only the outstanding students can do.

The problem is the opposite, even in the DA army, we do not fail! 

1997, in the unit in which I served 50% ~ did not finish the course, after forming. 

2000, Technion ~ 30% have not completed a bachelor's degree, I am talking about chemical engineering not embezzled / electric! 

Today it's the opposite, dragging everyone on the back to the finish line.

And since I know the former Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Prof. Yachin Cohen, I spoke with him and this is indeed the norm - aiming at 100% finishing. 

Quote of Sargon

Why are undergraduate studies at the Technion bad? Because all your studies are based on learning the intuition and meaning of the material from other students, and students in the years above you. Students who are not naturally friendly (and there are many, especially at the Technion) will find it much harder and spend much more time and absorb less material.

This may be true of social sciences, not of exact sciences. Two people can understand things backwards in the first, God forbid, if it happens in two. 

Quote of Sargon

The Technion is a university that likes to invest in its top and most outstanding students, and neglect all other undergraduate students.

They do look at the potential for an advanced degree and are motivated accordingly, this is their direction of construction for the future.

And a general statement from the side of a practitioner / trainee. Many students are more interested in the degree (document) than the knowledge. Employees during the degree, do not read, are not ready for class, compress the study to the days before the test. Do not ask questions, take courses (elective) of cotton topics (flop) - the main thing is that there is no exam and there is not too much understanding. Even lecturers have bad and not missing, especially the matter of factors, visible or hidden. And as for the precedents, students come with a superficial knowledge of basic subjects because they took a course in grass science (flat flop) instead of 1m root theory (in-depth and expansive). A lecturer who wants to have students in the course, lowers the requirements (softly or rigidly by lowering the preamble) and remains a mid-level course at best and that is before the quality of teaching and so on.   

Edited By Sheik Yerbouti
Link to content

Quote of Sheik Yerbouti

Eli Ben Sasson? zerocash? An amazing vision, may not save humanity but it certainly has the potential to reduce the overall pike around, in every area. I am not a man from DMH but his lecture was good, understandable and very clear what the application options are. 

The problem is the opposite, even in the DA army, we do not fail! 

1997, in the unit in which I served 50% ~ did not finish the course, after forming. 

2000, Technion ~ 30% have not completed a bachelor's degree, I am talking about chemical engineering not embezzled / electric! 

Today it's the opposite, dragging everyone on the back to the finish line.

And since I know the former Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Prof. Yachin Cohen, I spoke with him and this is indeed the norm - aiming at 100% finishing. 

This may be true of social sciences, not of exact sciences. Two people can understand things backwards in the first, God forbid, if it happens in two. 

They do look at the potential for an advanced degree and are motivated accordingly, this is their direction of construction for the future.

And a general statement from the side of a practitioner / trainee. Many students are more interested in the degree (document) than the knowledge. Employees during the degree, do not read, are not ready for class, compress the study to the days before the test. Do not ask questions, take courses (elective) of cotton topics (flop) - the main thing is that there is no exam and there is not too much understanding. Even lecturers have bad and not missing, especially the matter of factors, visible or hidden. And as for the precedents, students come with a superficial knowledge of basic subjects because they took a course in grass science (flat flop) instead of 1m root theory (in-depth and expansive). A lecturer who wants to have students in the course, lowers the requirements (softly or rigidly by lowering the preamble) and remains a mid-level course at best and that is before the quality of teaching and so on.   

Zero Cash? It sounded like a small block of Chien Block that had been talked about for a long time. Like, no one said your information should not be encrypted on Cheyenne Block.

And that's all you found?

The Technion students (and I'm focusing on computer science) are good as business people and entrepreneurs, and pretty poor as researchers.

In comparison, MIT students spend every year making sensational discoveries in computer science. The Technion excuse is always "but we do not have a budget like that of MIT." I wonder what kind of citation will allow a student to tell them such excuses.

Exact sciences have more than one way to understand things. There are many dual principles, and you can learn the technical side of algebra without understanding the intuition, which is something that is not taught at the Technion. Teach only the technical side and rely on the student to understand alone.

And besides what's your argument? It is clear that in the end every student can understand, but just as no student at the Technion develops algebra from scratch himself and uses lectures, so a short YouTube video with visual things to describe algebra can do wonders.

In my time, there were not so many wonderful YouTube videos, nowadays a student can study at the Technion alone with the help of the Internet.

The problem that you are focusing on is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You need every student to realize his potential, not to have a few students of his choice. Because discoveries nowadays require people with a lot of skills, no one has all the skills.

It is precisely the Technion's focus on certain students that is detrimental to research, and that is why CS is so entrenched behind MIT. MIT also does not have the disgusting competitive atmosphere at the Technion.

This research is not only knowledge and solving this equation also the creativity and effort of many people.

Computer science at the Technion has not discovered anything interesting in the past ten years, which I remember, perhaps even more.

I just got the Technion booklet, all they did in the booklet was talk about computer science discoveries of 5 years ago as if they had discovered America.

They did not renew anything in this booklet, all they have to show is this And the realization of algorithms that other people have invented before them.

Computer science is pathetic at the Technion. Both in research and in studies.

Link to content

Quote of Sargon

Accurate views There is more than one way to understand things. There are many dual principles, and you can learn the technical side of algebra without understanding the intuition, which is notStudying at the Technion. Teach only the technical side and rely on the student to understand alone.

And besides what's your argument? It is clear that at the end of each student Can understand, but like no student at the Technion does not develop algebra from scratch himself and uses lectures, so a short video on YouTube with visual things to describe the algebra can do wonders.

In my time, there were not so many wonderful YouTube videos, nowadays a student can study at the Technion alone with the help of the Internet.

Your example is not good, mathematics is rygurous, there is only one way to understand meaning, and it is through a precise nuance. 

Intuition is bad, even in mathematics and especially in today's science that focuses on small systems. Quantum mechanics is not intuitive, and statistical mechanics of small systems is not classical. 

Link to content

Very algebra connects to the physical world, at least up to three dimensions. Transformations are something that can really be imagined and exist in our world.

Also you think about optimizing a function in many dimensions you can sometimes visualize or view it in a lower dimension that you can understand.

It is true that once you have nothing in the physical world to compare to, then all you can do is stick to the technique.

That's exactly the mistake. At the Technion you are taught only technique and arithmetic operations in algebra, and they do not teach you what transformation does to space and its duality.

The truth is that they teach you, just do not show it to you visually, and then you can just memorize the technique without understanding what really happens.

Intuition sometimes helps, sometimes it does not. But regardless of the situation, you have to understand the meaning of the thing behind the numbers and the technique.

You can learn algebra simply by memorizing everything but you will not understand what you are really doing.

Here's a video sample, it's just one of the series, you'll understand what I mean.

Link to content

@Sargon To understand linear algebra in two or three dimensions, our brain is wired to these things, so intuition is good (and visual learning is good!).

The problem that the outside world is not three-dimensional and not linear and therefore intuitions fail frequently. Recommends Prof. Kahneman's book "Think fast, think slowly." 

Link to content

When there is no intuition it is usually easier. You just have to run the parts like Lego, there is not too much to think about. It "solves itself".

But I will check the book you recommend. sounds interesting.

In any case, the whole approach of the Technion to emphasize only the excellent students is disgusting. In the end, the excellent students also do not prove themselves in the real world.

It was felt an atmosphere of competition and arrogance, everyone wants to feel that he is the most genius.

In my opinion, in universities in the United States, the students are not as arrogant and full of ego as at the Technion, or perhaps in Israel at all.

The students come to learn and realize their potential, not to feel smart because of the insights.

The Technion also tends to use propaganda and populist methods to bring students. There was a time when they gave ID cards to everyone who was accepted to the Technion.

The first lecture at the Technion included a professor who said half-jokingly that what they said about the Technion was Profadagna. A sort of joke with a little truth.

Many students who finish a degree at the Technion hate the Technion and rightly so. I will also not forget how the scoundrels of the Technion graduates' association made money from me to be registered with them. Afterward it seemed to me free, but I no longer wanted to be a member of the Technion graduates' union.

In short, the Technion is in its convenient niche where it does not have to change too many things. By the way, even a professor who taught me an advanced course told me that the Technion curriculum is outdated. In other universities abroad, this is taught in a more modern approach, and the Technion remains with the same approach of the 1950s as to the study of mathematics.

Link to content

Quote of Sheik Yerbouti

Your example is not good, mathematics is rygurous, there is only one way to understand meaning, and it is through a precise nuance. 

Intuition is bad, even in mathematics and especially in today's science that focuses on small systems. Quantum mechanics is not intuitive, and statistical mechanics of small systems is not classical.

I do not agree with you, intuition is relative to man and the problem and quantum theory is in many cases more intuitive than ordinary mechanics. A great deal is also based on isomorphism for vector bases from linear algebra so that when there is an intuition related to locators it is possible to use it to better predict and understand how quantum systems behave.

Take, for example, the problem of MRI. This is one of the only problems that are completely solved in quantum mechanics. To explain to chemists what's going on there is a description "Classic" that talks about the vector of magnetization that revolve around a central field and must send pulses of magnetic field that last a very long period of time to change their shift from the central field plane and all kinds of other complications related to their phase.

Under quantum mechanics that is more accurate than the classical description, the central magnetic field simply "creates" two new energy levels, the distance between which is linearly dependent on the field's intensity and wavelength-related radio particles that correspond to this difference can be absorbed and ejected from this new level when momentum conservation determines their phase.

What seems more intuitive to you?

On the face of it, it seems that mathematics is more complex, but it is much easier to understand the quantum explanation of how MRI works.

I have a lot of intuition in mathematics, for example in the linear context, if you need to make a Fourier transform or break into another column for some function and you see that its shape is very similar to one of the elements in the column you can know that its projection on This is much larger than the others, it is very useful in real life, for example to decide which basis of functions to break a function to bring it closer and in which organ you want to cut the approximation ...

In physics these things depend on how good the lecturer is, if computers do not treat them, it simply means that the lecturers are bad.

Edited By Buck
Link to content

Do you compare the Technion to the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center and allow yourself to criticize Technion graduates in computer science? 

Lol Listen, your logic is flawed. Too bad you did not take the logic and set theory, you might not have written so much nonsense.
So read some - 
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%94_%D7%A8%D7%93%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%A1%D7%A7%D7%99

Now - I did not understand, have you criticized the quality of the teaching or that you have no friends? What do you criticize other students?

Was your mother's faculty mathematics? This may explain your heavy remorse.

a quote

In my opinion, in universities in the United States, the students are not as arrogant and full of ego as at the Technion, or perhaps in Israel at all.

The students come to learn and realize their potential, not to feel smart because of the insights.

The Technion also tends to use propaganda and populist methods to bring students. There was a time when they gave ID cards to everyone who was accepted to the Technion.

Do you notice how you sound? What is the security of including students in Israel or the US What did you do in your life that gives you a pinch of idea about the student life of a country on 325 million people? What populist methods? , Do you really think that the University of 1 in Israel should beg students in prestigious faculties? People spend years of their lives just to be accepted. 

In short, there is no doubt that you are embittered and write "criticism" in a very impolite and shallow way, like a little boy who did not succeed so he ran to cry for the parents.

There are some points that I agree with, like the exaggerated attitude towards 'outstanding', but your wailing form of writing disgusts the entire post.

Good luck in the real world.

Link to content

Quote of flava

Do you compare the Technion to the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center and allow yourself to criticize Technion graduates in computer science? 

Do you notice how you sound? What is the security of including students in Israel or the US What did you do in your life that gives you a pinch of idea about the student life of a country on 325 million people? What populist methods? IPhone, Do you really think that the University of 1 in Israel should beg students in prestigious faculties? People spend years of their lives just to be accepted. 

You prove my argument, at least about yourself. You're a swollen fart, you do not know that the Technion has once offered Pidgin for subscribers (the one you do not know has become a fact in your mind).

You fall into all the COGNITIVE BIAS traps, you're the one who needs to learn logic. Let me give you a clue, logic has not just started in philosophy long before formal formulation.

Do you think that anyone who studies in the field is retarded? Do you think there are no people who got to the Technion and moved to the fields and ended up with their friends who stayed at the Technion?

Hoping that she would leave the Technion bubble for another ten or twenty years. And you'll see that the Technion is a gray place and not as important as it is to me.

Link to content

Listen, your ability to draw conclusions is really lacking, it's already worrying. I claimed that they did not distribute or did they distribute? All in all I said I had not heard of this case. Did you see what it was? I confessed that I did not know anything - maybe not

I'm not such a fart.

And now maybe you can get to the point? Do you have an example of populist marketing methods? Do you have data on how many are trying to be accepted each year and how many improve grades in order to be accepted? Do you have any idea about the interviewers' preference? Do you have data on the quantity and quality of research published at the Technion compared to any other university in the country?

You combine research and industry, and you do not understand the two issues.

And again, I do not know if it's your feelings of inferiority or your weak conclusions, but you write nonsense.

Where did I argue that someone who studies in the field is retarded? 

How can one compare the conditions of a place that rises several times a year? This could lead to a difference of over NIS 100,000 in the title. Do you expect the same treatment? The terms are the same? Are the admission requirements the same? Or are you looking at what is comfortable with your feelings of inferiority?

Quote of Sargon

There are far more students in Interdisciplinary Park in Herzliya.

I heard from someone who studied at the Technion and moved to my fields, they study the same material and finish a degree faster.

It's not that mathematics at the Technion is different from mathematics anywhere else.

True, your title is less considered in the job market of gray societies, but you come out with more knowledge and absorb more material that will help you in life.

You heard from someone, that's a fait accompli.

He published on billboards - in between fields, studying the same material and mathematics at the same level as the Technion.

I'm starting to think you're a troll. really.

"Are you coming out with more knowledge and absorbing more material to help you with life?" WTF? 

You just wrote that you learned the same stuff, did not you?

What else is taught to you about interdisciplinary life? How to spend NIS 40 a year? It seems to me that you absorb the bank account mostly.

"Gray companies" you say? Did you check it out? 

Which helps you sleep well at night ...

Link to content

Quote of etal

Do you mean that in a private college where students pay tuition 3-4 times higher then there are more resources to invest in each student?

In any case, from the experience of conduct that you describe is correct to all the universities in the country that think that the main goal is theirs is research so that studying undergraduate students is some secondary task that most professors do not really want to perform and the truth that they were not trained to do.

It does not work that way. The difference between the Technion and the State Department pays the Technion your taxes.

So theoretically there is no reason for you to get shit for money at the Technion or any other university.

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site