Home Fiber Network - Networks & Internet - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Home fiber network

yigael_o

Hi, everyone,

I'm moving to a new apartment soon (there is all the mess with the closure so I hope there is no unexpected change) thinking about a project of FIBER HOME.

All mobile phones will of course be connected in a way .

But right now I have one desktop (basically for work) one and soon there will be another one for the girl. There is no real reason but I thought of worrying about buying compatible communication cards (2) and connecting them. Of course not a direct connection but through a router (or something else if you say it is better).

It's obvious to me that it won't affect the speed out because I currently have the connection of Of 500/10 and I am satisfied but in the connection of Faber of course it will be a bottleneck.

This is an experiment I plan to do only if the cost is not excessive.

Anyone have an assessment?

I searched a bit and saw for example in a few seconds computer tickets in the range between 350 NIS and 2000 NIS. But I do not understand what the difference is between them.

I would love for comments so I can know more about the topic.

Link to content

Bottle neck linking to the outside world.

But it doesn't bother me at the moment.

And obviously I need that. It's just an experiment I thought would try if the cost wasn't excessive.

After all, there is a card like that Standard on all computers and routers.

Fiber communication is just something I am considering.

Link to content

Cards For computers this is the easy part, without connecting them to a suitable router or switch so what is the point of it at all? How do you think to connect Faber to your router and what do you think you will gain from it if its connections are limited to 1 GB anyway?

As of today the world is not going in the direction of home fiber, at distances of Home and office high quality copper wires can move 10 gigabytes so that no one sees the need for optical fiber for these needs. Currently equipment Of 10 GB is still very expensive, there are intermediate speeds of 2.5 and 5 GB a little cheaper and it is still an investment of thousands of shekels without giving a tangible advantage to the home user.

Link to content

Offers to transfer cables And produce 1Gbps ethernet with switch \ With a suitable built-in switch. 

Moving this fiber is nice no doubt :) But if it is not point to point you will also have to buy a suitable switch. 

Just an example to scale the prices - 

https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=fiber+switch&qid=1585729296&sr=8-4

+ About $ 100 (I haven't checked in depth but this is the order of magnitude) for the SFP + NIC, plus a few dozen dollars for each cable. 

Edited By Qtec
Link to content

I probably didn't make myself clear. Of course I'm also talking about Router Fiber.

Luckily without me explaining myself as a kiutek, I gave a link to something relevant.

It is clear to me that this is not necessary. I just said that if the cost is not excessive I will do it as an experiment.

Each computer has two cards . The usual, RJ45 and optical, which I have no idea what it's called.

I just realized that you can buy an optical switch for $ 130.

In addition, a ticket costs at least 450 NIS each. (At least according to what I found)

And a 3-meter cable costs about $ 100 or so.

This means that the cost of this small project is in the region of NIS 1600. Did I calculate correctly or would there be more things needed?

Link to content

What is a "Fiber" router? Do you have a specific model? If the reference is to a HOT router they call fiber then to the best of my knowledge there are no fiber connections there just connections 1 regular gigabyte. 

Take into account that theThis switch must have SFP + adapters that must be added to the end of each cable that connects to it, it does not connect directly to the communication cables. The price of those adapters can range from $ 20 to $ 100 per adapter depending on the desired speed, distance and type of cable you want to connect. 

Edited By etal
Link to content

Quote of yigael_o

I probably didn't make myself clear. Of course I'm also talking about Router Fiber.

Luckily without me explaining myself as a kiutek, I gave a link to something relevant.

It is clear to me that this is not necessary. I just said that if the cost is not excessive I will do it as an experiment.

Each computer has two cards Network. The usual, RJ45 and optical, which I have no idea what it's called.

I just realized that you can buy an optical switch for $ 130.

In addition, a ticket costs at least 450 NIS each. (At least according to what I found)

And a 3-meter cable costs about $ 100 or so.

This means that the cost of this small project is in the region of NIS 1600. Did I calculate correctly or would there be more things needed?

Plus minus - this is the order of magnitude in my opinion as well as the prices I have seen (although it is important to say I did not do a thorough check).

Link to content

From what I understand you want to connect 2 computers using optical equipment.

The question is for what purpose?

If it's just a hobby then good luck. Expensive but possible.

If it's for speed then at home distances you can reach 10G even with copper. (For which you will also need support equipment and a little expensive)

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Amazon's parade continues

Amazon's parade continues

Come and be impressed by another list of great prices for quality hardware products and gadgets that can make your credit cards work overtime