Threading fiber between floors indoors - Networks and Internet - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Threading fiber between floors inside a house

Ymac

Peace,

In my house there are ditches in the walls where cables pass (CAT5 \ 6) From all rooms to a communication cabinet on the ground floor.

To the basement, there is only one usable canal, and it is very crowded, as it runs through a coaxial cable next to a cable , And is the only canal that transmits communication between floors.

My (excessive) solution to the problem, is After all, a fiber is much thinner than a CAT5 cable, and it has a high capacity alongside flexibility (as long as the fiber is in the wall, I can replace the transmitters on both sides and upgrade over time.

Ideally - because there are cables that carry several pairs of fibers within them - this can make it possible to transfer several "cables" in one thin cable - excellent!

The way I imagine it, it's one cable that runs between the floors and at both ends there is a termination into a box with several LC connectors.

The distance is not great, it is still a house (in my opinion inside the wall it is less than 10 meters) so it is possible to use a multimode fiber that I realized is cheaper.

The obvious question is - what is the price, and who does such things?

I saw on eBay ready-made cables, but they are single cables, and not everyone has a strong sheath that is suitable for threading (after all, fibers are very sensitive) and I, as mentioned, want multi-conductor fiber, how much can manual termination by a professional add to me?

I would love to hear advice and opinions from people who have done such things once, or alternatively if there are other ideas for the problem of bandwidth between floors.

Link to content

Suggests still consider basing it all on, ethernet will also probably be easier to install and also in terms of the speeds you can get to and the ethernet based equipment which is nonetheless more accessible.

Creating 10Gbps capacity between floors will not be enough? You can only use Ethernet to transfer a variety of content (in other words - you may be able to override the coax cable).

Link to content

Quote of Qtec

Suggests still consider basing it all on, ethernet will also probably be easier to install and also in terms of the speeds you can get to and the ethernet based equipment which is nonetheless more accessible.

Creating 10Gbps capacity between floors will not be enough? You can only use Ethernet to transfer a variety of content (in other words - you may be able to override the coax cable).

Problematic, the CAT5 cable that is currently passing there is barely moving, re-threading CAT6 \ 6A is not possible (and even less futrue proof)

It is impossible to flip the coax unfortunately, there are Yes converters in the basement as well and need a connection to the plate.

In terms of equipment accessibility - it is actually much easier to find used SFP + and transceiver optical cards at great prices, compared to 10G-BaseT equipment which is more expensive and less supported.

But let's say I have a switch that supports SFP + at both ends

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Amazon's parade continues

Amazon's parade continues

Come and be impressed by another list of great prices for quality hardware products and gadgets that can make your credit cards work overtime