Switching from Mid Tower Case to Mini ITX — What Components Can I Save? Advice Before Buying A Computer - HWzone Forums
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Switching from Mid Tower Case to Mini ITX — What Components Can I Save?

Hello everyone, I decided today to fulfill a dream and start a digital nomadic life around the world. Without fussing I will get straight to the point — due to the nature of my work, I have to wander with a stationary computer. Since the existing case does not allow me any mobility, I decided to buy a case And carried that I could take to the plane as hand luggage, and preserve as much as possible the existing components.

My desktop currently looks like this:

• Fractal Design Define R4 Case (Medium Tower)
  • Board Asus H97-PLUS
  • I5 processor 4460 socket 1150 LGA
  • STORAGE 250GB capacity in addition to three HDDs with a total capacity of 4TB
  • זיכרון Two sticks with a total volume of 16GB
  • Provider FSP Aurum AU-700
  • Without a dedicated graphics card
  • כרטיס radio
  • Cooling - a selection of large and quiet fans, in case you find a need for more in-depth detail.

1572873435_WeChatImage_20200905135902.thumb.jpg.39dca136b5d3499b8f4d5b8527f8ed8b.jpg

The case I'm moving to is SilverStone SST-ML08B-H (Mini ITX) - pictures attached below. All the details about him Link.

This is an excellent computer for my needs and I am interested in switching while keeping as many components as possible. Beyond the need to switch to two drives instead of four, How do I know which components I can leave?

If components need to be replaced, which ones would you recommend at the same level? (I'm not looking to create Or for gamers, what I currently have is great)

Thank you very much for the helpers!

71fdscgf4YL.jpg

81FyGIYKp6L.jpg

716YnXYAatL.jpg

Edited By eh
Post Reply Direct Link To This Post

The only things you can keep are the processor, the memories and some of the disks (you have to decide which one).

Since you do not need an external video card, it is not clear why you chose this particular case. From personal experience getting an itx board to an old processor like yours it is not simple and in the end it will not be worth the hassle to try and use the parts you already have.

I would reconsider the direction you chose, since you do not need a video card so it is better to buy a deskmini or nuc that will be much smaller and since you do not seem to need a processor with a particularly high performance so the question arises why not That's it?

Edited By etal
Quote of etal

It is not clear why you chose this particular case [...] why not מחשב נייד That's it?

Thanks for the help. The case I offered excels in excellent portability, with the slim design and the carrying handle is comfortable to carry just like a briefcase. You rightly mentioned that this is not a state-of-the-art super station so why not take a laptop and close the corner. The consideration is primarily financial. With a portable screen one way or another in the backpack due to the need for a large screen for the workstation, so the question is what to connect to it. It seems that saving the components I have in the desktop computer saves me several thousand shekels of buying a laptop or mini stationary compatible with the level of processor, memory, space and internal storage speed, towards a step in life that is anyway a head jump into the deep water financially (and in some time). Critical shekel. In such a situation, what would you do?

Edited By eh

I have heard of people who carry a computer in a suitcase but I have not yet heard of those who also carry the screen, in this case there is no doubt that it makes sense to switch to a laptop even if it means you have to change the way you used to work. . There are small screens today that are meant to be an extra screen addition to computers You may want to explore this direction as well.

If you still insist on carrying an entire system with you then since the consideration is mostly financial I suggest you build on paper a system around the case you chose (which does not seem to be available in the country at all) with all the special parts it requires and compare with assembling a system from new parts around it:

https://www.plonter.co.il/detail.tmpl?sku=DeskMini-A300

I think you will find that there is no financial saving in trying to reuse the parts you have and this system will be much smaller and portable (volume two liters versus 12 liters). 

Quote of etal

I have heard of people who carry a computer in a suitcase but I have not yet heard of those who also carry the screen, in this case there is no doubt that it makes sense to switch to a laptop even if it means you have to change the way you used to work. . There are small screens today that are meant to be an extra screen addition to computers Mobile You may want to explore this direction as well.

If you still insist on carrying an entire system with you then since the consideration is mostly financial I suggest you build on paper a system around the case you chose (which does not seem to be available in the country at all) with all the special parts it requires and compare with assembling a system from new parts around it:

https://www.plonter.co.il/detail.tmpl?sku=DeskMini-A300

I think you will find that there is no financial saving in trying to reuse the parts you have and this system will be much smaller and portable (volume two liters versus 12 liters). 

Thank you! At the end of the day I believe that a laptop is not suitable for everyone and every use (just as a desktop computer is not suitable for every use). Easy and material When it comes to my source of livelihood, I would not be in a hurry to make concessions that would hurt the labor supply and directly livelihood. So I seem to be closing more and more on the NUC i7 8559U with 256GB + 1TB and 16GB Thanks for your great advice!

according to Comparison of CPU performance At userbenchmarks.com it seems that at the end of the day I will get a better workstation than my existing one, incredibly mobile (screen on the back) and negligible at all costs. What do you think?

The main use of the workstation is for graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite without Or three) and production Symphony with virtual instruments (programs like Kontakt on Reaper, Cubase and FL Studio, many VSTs in parallel).

Edited By eh
Quote of eh

Thank you! At the end of the day I believe that a laptop is not suitable for everyone and every use (just as a desktop computer is not suitable for every use). Easy and material When it comes to my source of livelihood, I would not be in a hurry to make concessions that would hurt the labor supply and directly livelihood. So I seem to be closing more and more on the NUC i7 8559U with 256GB + 1TB and 16GB זיכרון Thanks for your great advice!

according to Comparison of CPU performance Site userbenchmarks.com I seem to get a better workstation at the end of the day than my existing one, incredibly portable (screen on the back) and at a negligible cost by all accounts. What do you think?

The main use of the workstation is for graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite without Video Or three) and production Music Symphony with virtual instruments (programs like Kontakt on Reaper, Cubase and FL Studio, many VSTs in parallel).

Lol you do not want to hurt your work and inviting With an old I7?
If I were you I would find With one of the new raisins.

By the way note userbenchmark is one of the worst sites to compare hardware, it is very convenient and very bad at what it does, especially in processors.

Edited By Moon-Mage
Quote of Moon-Mage

Lol you do not want to hurt your work and inviting WALNUT With an old I7?
If I were you I would find מחשב נייד With one of the new raisins.

By the way note userbenchmark is one of the worst sites to compare hardware, it is very convenient and very bad at what it does, especially in processors.

Once you really want to help, I'm attentive. Until then, thank you.

First of all I'm jealous of dying!

Digital nomadism was once the dream but then reality devoured everything ..

I also agree with the experts' advice, carrying around a stationary computer + screen is clearly not worth it, both in terms of comfort and weight, also the worry of equipment during flights or travel and even financially will pay quite a bit for the extra size and weight on flights.

So the recommendation is to go for .

The latest generation i7 or better is better than the fourth generation ryzen7 (model H and even the U) will give you a great upgrade from the current computer.

In terms of working comfort on a small screen you will need to change the habits a bit (maybe working with desktops and switching between them at the click of a mouse).

By the way, there are quite a few places in the world with work areas where you can sit and connect to a screen / wifi.

Flip a bit on youtube there are lots of digital nomad channels with lots of recommendations (at the time I was following christhefreelancer),

Everyone I've seen working with laptops on stand and mouse and keyboard.

I would love to hear some more details ..

Successfully!

Another consideration you should keep in mind: a stationary computer, because it was not designed for shaking (yes, not even a minimalist case like you want) is prone to disasters. Memories can be disconnected, fans can be released, and once one component is released inside the case it may make names on your computer. On the other hand, even the cheapest laptop (and you can get computers In a better specification of your own for less than NIS 1000 second hand) built in a way that will survive shaking, as long as you store it in a reasonably padded bag. If you need a larger screen, there are computers With a 17-inch screen. And a stationary computer that comes with you broken to the destination will pretty much disable you quickly.

By the way, how would you start your nomadic life now from a red country like , Without flights and with an impending closure?

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

New: NVIDIA's Ampere Small

Three different manufacturers are adopting a particularly compact Mini-ITX configuration for the GeForce RTX 3060, so that even miniature computer systems can enjoy the benefits of the new generation - in case the availability does not disappoint once again

new on the site

You have an update

You have an update

Buzz Zone: The Instagram spaces #buzzzone You have an update A photo posted by HWzone.co.il (@ hwzone.co.il) on 2021-01-20 16:09:29 You have an update