Does connecting an NVME SSD M2 to a processor degrade the performance of the video card? Forums - HWzone Forums
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Does connecting an NVME SSD M2 to a processor degrade the performance of the video card?

I have a processor 5 3600

Motherboard PRIME B550M-A WIFI

These are the data regarding storage

image.thumb.png.b431da38af95d6b3fda50f40eaef4cb6.png

I want to buy And wants to know:

1. As you can see I have two connections - one in the processor and the other in the chipset: which one is better to connect?

2. Will connecting to a processor lower the video card to the X8? In addition is it possible to work with two as well Connected to M2 without damaging the card? (My pretty old card is PCIE2 if that matters)

3. I do not need something crazy I am looking for something affordable, I saw there is a WD BLUE PCIE And there is BLACK. At 500GB the difference in Amazon is $ 10, it's not much but I saw that there is no real difference. Plus I saw that there is a 1TB SABRENT at $ 100. How does it compare to these 1TB drives?

4. The location of the M2 is just below the video card that reaches high temp. Can it hurt him or is it built for it?

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-RKTQ-1TB/dp/B07ZZYWTBP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent&qid=1601123806&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-SN750-500GB-Internal-Gaming/dp/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wd%2Bssd&qid=1601120922&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN550-500GB-NVMe-Internal/dp/B07YFF3JCN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wd+blue&qid=1601123846&sr=8-2

Thanks

Edited By erashel
Post Reply Direct Link To This Post

1. You will get a bit better performance if you use storage that is connected directly to the processor

2. The connection of the video card remains X16 in all modes (although even if it were X8 it would not affect the actual performance)

3. Everyone is fine, the black in my opinion is worth $ 10 extra

4. One of the M2 connections is on the side of the video card which does not emit heat, in any case it will probably be fine. If you are worried you can buy a model of With heatsink or add one yourself.

This processor has 24 PCIE channels, in this board they chose to divide them so that 16 go to the video card, 4 go to the M2 and the other 4 go to the chipset. There are enough channels so that the fact that you connect the M2 will not detract anything from the video card.

Edited By etal

Yes even if you add another M2 it will not affect the video card. Keep in mind that the same second M2 shares its bandwidth with all the other things connected to the chipset (SATA,, Audio, expansion cards, etc.) so he does not really get 4 PCIE channels available just for him.

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

× The content pasted is with formatting. Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

× Your link has been automatically assimilated. Show as regular link

× Your previous content has been automatically restored. Clear all

× You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site