US Laptop - Battery and Cable + (Type of) Solution - Computer Technical Support - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Laptop from the USA - battery and cable + (type of) solution

Ben gordon

I'm currently in the US, I purchased an HP Pavilion 15.6 "Horizon Blue 15-eh0090wm laptop,

I turned it on, I charged, I installed updates to I turned it off and put it back in the box.
I plan to use it in about ten months in Israel.

1. Is there a concern that something will happen to the battery when the laptop is off for such a long time? 

Is it necessary to charge it every few months?

2. Its charger is also suitable for Israel (110v-240v), but the cable that connects to the wall is suitable for an American outlet, of course.

It is not possible to simply use a plug adapter, because the plug is 3 pins (Type B).

I am interested in purchasing (in the US) another cable that will connect to the charger, with a plug that is suitable for Israel, but I do not know what exactly to look for.

I would love to know what it's called (and if there is a link to Amazon it would be great).

image.png.095480d8ae1617839aed5c76d969822d.png

Edited By Ben Gordon
Link to content

If it is a cable that breaks down, you can buy it in Israel for NIS 10-20. It is called a Mickey Mouse cable because of the shape of the connection to the supplier. (Available at every computer store)

If it is a supplier with a cast cable then you will purchase an adapter when you arrive in the country.

In the past it was recommended to disconnect the battery for a long storage period. This option does not exist in today's computers.

By and large, you should take it out every month - a month and a half and do a charging cycle for charging the battery.

Hope you had a super great deal, it's not ideal to buy a computer and put aside for 10 months.

Link to content

The cable does break, I prefer to buy in advance on Amazon, you know maybe what exactly to look for?

I was looking for mickey mouse power cord type m but it does not seem to be the right search.

What happens if I do not touch the computer at all for 10 months?

Is there a concern that the battery will stop functioning and will not be allowed to charge at all?

Link to content

Quote of etal

There is no need to discharge the battery every time, just make sure it stays charged.

Not sure I understood: every month and a half turn on the laptop, charge it until the battery reaches 100% and turn it off?

(Even if it barely dropped to 100% and charging will only take a few minutes)

Link to content

Quote by Ben Gordon

Below zero it can not go down : )

But I understand that you just have to turn it on once a month and a half, charge it and turn it off.

Thank you.

Not only can it go below "zero", where the damage is done - the% Windows gives you symbolizes the current voltage of the battery and below a certain voltage side effects are created inside the battery that impair its function and can destroy it and your goal is that it will not get there.

Link to content

Quote by Ben Gordon

But only at the logical and practical level - a battery can not be minus capacity

Lithium batteries do not go down to 0V voltage that they are discharged but to a threshold voltage of 2.5V-3V. If the voltage in them drops below this, irreversible damage is caused to the battery.

It is also not advisable to leave the battery fully charged if you plan on not using it for a long time. It is best to leave it at a nominal voltage of 3.7V. Therefore load / unload to the 65% -70% range.

Link to content

Quote of Jabberwock

Lithium batteries do not go down to 0V voltage that they are discharged but to a threshold voltage of 2.5V-3V. If the voltage in them drops below this, irreversible damage is caused to the battery.

It is also not advisable to leave the battery fully charged if you plan on not using it for a long time. It is best to leave it at a nominal voltage of 3.7V. Therefore load / unload to the 65% -70% range.

So not to charge your computer 100%? I did not understand why, but I guess the explanation is technical / physical.

So recharge to the 70% range, yes?
(I doubt at all if after a month and a half the battery will drop to 70%, but it seems).

Link to content

• 4 months later ...

updating:

I purchased 2 for the same laptops and acted according to the instructions here, charging, turning off and storing for a month / month and a half, turning on and back for goodness sake.

From the beginning I noticed that the battery of one of the laptops drops significantly more than the other laptop,

And the last time I turned on the laptops after Of a month and a half, then one laptop dropped from 100% to around 75%,

While the other laptop did not turn on at all and I had to plug in the power and recharge it.

In conversation with (I am physically in the US) They performed many tests, including running a test tool on the battery and said the battery was normal.

I did not tell them that the laptop was closed for a month and a half, because it is clear that they would shake off and say that if that is okay,

But I told them the laptop was off for about a week.

They offered to send me the laptop for their test in the lab (he is responsible) and even sent me a box and packaging materials already.

1. Is there any point in sending them the laptop?

After all, a test performed on it will show that it is functioning excellently and even when they test the battery, they will see that it is without problems.

And they probably won't leave their laptop with them until the battery drops significantly.

2. I will soon start using laptop regularly, that means several hours of use per day without charge,
(And I saw that the laptop works well for several hours without charging)

Then his nocturnal claim, almost every day probably.

Am I likely to have any charging glitches down the road, given the fact that its battery is discharged much faster than the same second laptop?

Thank you.

Link to content

Accelerated battery discharge when the computer is off may depend on the settings of other components on the computer and not on the battery itself. For example - if a certain component remains in a state that requires a certain power to support WAKE and the like.

Link to content

• Ben gordon changed the title to Laptop from the USA - battery and cable + (type of) solution

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site