z490m VS h470m for PC programming with I7 - Advice before buying a computer - HWzone Forums
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

z490m VS h470m for PC programming with I7

A computer whose main purpose is surfing and programming. Lots of tabs together in Chrome. Interested in a powerful computer.
Not interested in
Interested in I7 and no less.

Which is better to take a motherboard Z490M or Gigabyte H470M DS3H Assuming I do not mean OC or heavy games?

Processors:
Intel i7 10700 / 1200 Tray
Coolers for processors:
be quiet! CPU Cooling Pure Rock Slim
Motherboards:
Gigabyte H470M DS3H
Enclosures:
Antec VSK10 Case
Desktop PC Suppliers:
ANTEC 550W Neo Eco Classic TUF 80+ Bronze
Disks SSD:
Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus M.2
Memory: (I bought separately)
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz (PC4 24000) CL16
Post Reply Direct Link To This Post
  • תגובות 31
  • Opens on
  • Last comment

Prominent participants in the discussion

Prominent participants in the discussion

Popular responses

Based on the boards you have selected, I guess you are looking at KSP. If I'm right then in my opinion the most profitable board for you to buy is the MSI MAG B460M MORTAR LGA1200 which costs 565 shekels. The differences between H4

Need to check, I did not follow Intel boards. If I have time tomorrow evening or the day after tomorrow I will try to check. Maybe someone else knows how to recommend. What is the budget about?

In this price range from the selection in Plonter, it seems to me that the most affordable board is the TUF-GAMING-H470-PRO https://www.plonter.co.il/detail.tmpl?sku=TUF-GAMING-H470-PRO&cart=1605804594687871478

Attached Images

The Z490 board will allow you to run the memories at full speed but with these memories it does not really matter anything, You anyway will not be able to do with this processor. In my personal opinion the power supply system of the two boards you have chosen is not really suitable for an 8 core processor, it will work but you probably will not be able to get the full performance from the processor.

Can not resist, better .

And to the very question, to the board There is no advantage for you. As long as you get from your board all the ports and ports you need then I would go for the cheaper one.

Quote of etal

In my personal opinion the power supply system of the two boards you have chosen is not really suitable for an 8 core processor, it will work but you probably will not be able to get the full performance from the processor.

Worth checking it out.

The real concern is actually thermal throttle, I actually believe most likely these boards are fine but I am not familiar with their reviews.

One should try to find a review of the boards or go for something else that has received a positive review.

Edited By lompy
Quote of etal

The Z490 board will allow you to run the memories at full speed but with these memories it does not really matter anything, Overclock You anyway will not be able to do with this processor. In my personal opinion the power supply system of the two boards you have chosen is not really suitable for an 8 core processor, it will work but you probably will not be able to get the full performance from the processor.

Because I took 3000 MHz? No significant difference? 

How many W need?

Quote of lompy

Can not resist, better AMD.

And to the very question, to the board Z490 There is no advantage for you. As long as you get from your board all the ports and ports you need then I would go for the cheaper one.

Worth checking it out.

The real concern is actually thermal throttle, I actually believe most likely these boards are fine but I am not familiar with their reviews.

One should try to find a review of the boards or go for something else that has received a positive review.

Regarding the - I know : ) But it's going to be hard to get me out of this. : )

Thanks!

In short, I understand going on the h470 ..

How much does W cost?

Quote of etal

In my personal opinion the power supply system of the two boards you have chosen is not really suitable for an 8 core processor, it will work but you probably will not be able to get the full performance from the processor.

It does not matter how many cores there are but what is the thermal envelope of the processor. And nowadays the thermal envelope of an 8-core processor is not very high.

According to their specifications, the boards also support processors with higher TDP, and with a larger number of cores, so it is not clear to me what the basis for this claim is.

Gigabyte is a long-standing, reliable, and serious manufacturer. If according to their specifications the board supports any processor (without "asterisks" and without anything), then it supports its stable and standard work.

Quote of Ido.G

It does not matter how many cores there are but what is the thermal envelope of the processor. And nowadays the thermal envelope of an 8-core processor is not very high.

According to their specifications, the boards also support processors with higher TDP, and with a larger number of cores, so it is not clear to me what the basis for this claim is.

Just a quick glance their VRM looks pretty poor (I haven't checked in depth)

There are boards that also in stock come to thermal throttle, so it is not unreasonable to see such a VRM and doubt the manufacturer's claim.

Specific about GIGABYTE Z490M I did not see a review but I did see that GIGABYTE UD Which has a slightly more successful VRM, reaches 80 degrees at a TDP of 125 and runs at 4400MHz, which is perfectly fine and within the specification but boards with a more successful VRM can run with a higher TDP so the processor can also run at a higher frequency. This is in my opinion etal's intention when he said he will not get the full performance that the processor is capable of giving and in my opinion there is a reasonable chance that he is right.

Edited By lompy

Based on the boards you have selected, I guess you are looking at KSP.

If I'm right then in my opinion the board that pays you the most is to buy it at all

MSI MAG B460M MORTAR LGA1200

Which costs NIS 565.

The differences between the H470 and B460 are quite minor

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201841/intel-b460-chipset.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201835/intel-h470-chipset.html

And conclude mainly in the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port that anyway according to what I checked does not exist in the gigabyte.

Relying on tests Steve did

You will see the comparison between the For a gigabyte (which is a more successful VRM board than the gigabit you chose)

In the same TDP e Runs more than 10 degrees less.

And if the limit of the TDP is lowered then e Runs the CPU at 4800 instead of 4400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe_VC4i3wk&t=442s

image.png.601acde09f40236534d64f9debfb2110.png

Edited By lompy

@ Ido.G

You probably have not been following how in recent years  Plays with the settings of the thermal shell. It's true that officially it's a 65w processor but officially the only thing Intel promises at this power is a speed of 2.90 GHz. I estimate that the board will indeed meet this minimum, but this is not the performance that those who buy an i7 expect.

Quote of gurfi

How much does W cost?

You did not understand, the intention was not that you need a stronger power supply but that you should choose Which has a better stabilization system and power supply.

Quote of lompy

Based on the boards you have selected, I guess you are looking at KSP.

If I'm right then in my opinion the board that pays you the most is to buy it at all

MSI MAG B460M MORTAR LGA1200

Which costs NIS 565.

The differences between the H470 and B460 are quite minor

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201841/intel-b460-chipset.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201835/intel-h470-chipset.html

And conclude mainly in the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port that anyway according to what I checked does not exist in the gigabyte.

Relying on tests Steve did

You will see the comparison between the MSI For a gigabyte (which is a more successful VRM board than the gigabit you chose)

In the same TDP e MSI Runs more than 10 degrees less.

And if the limit of the TDP is lowered then e MSI Runs the CPU at 4800 instead of 4400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe_VC4i3wk&t=442s

image.png.601acde09f40236534d64f9debfb2110.png

I'm currently building it in Polenter. Do not want to buy in KSP.

The problem with the Which has no DVI and I want it for an old screen. (Although I need to check if the monitor supports DP threading and then the problem may be dismissed).
Are there any more recommended boards? Precisely from I expected a good board from them.

Edited By gurfi
Quote of etal

@ Ido.G

You probably have not been following how in recent years  Intel Plays with the settings of the thermal shell. It's true that officially it's a 65w processor but officially the only thing Intel promises at this power is a speed of 2.90 GHz. I estimate that the board will indeed meet this minimum, but this is not the performance that those who buy an i7 expect.

You did not understand, the intention was not that you need a stronger power supply but that you should choose Motherboard Which has a better stabilization system and power supply.

Ahh. True, I thought the intention was to provide ..

@etal
@lompy

Accept your claims, and indeed I was wrong. It is probably better to take a better board (at least in terms of configuration \ The VRM).

Offhand remark:

Admittedly in my opinion the processors of Priced well, but the issue of boards makes building an Intel-based system unaffordable in my opinion.

The system is based There are not bad boards at all in the area of ​​450 - 600 NIS.

Quote of gurfi

I'm currently building it in Polenter. Do not want to buy in KSP.

The problem with the MSI Which has no DVI and I want it for an old screen. (Although I need to check if the monitor supports DP threading and then the problem may be dismissed).
Are there any more recommended boards? Precisely from GIGABYTE I expected a good board from them.

The DVI port is already a pretty old port, I expect to find it on less recommended budget boards.

Besides the DVI port is not really an obstacle, you can always buy a cable To DVI.

Quote of lompy

The DVI port is already a pretty old port, I expect to find it on less recommended budget boards.

Besides the DVI port is not really an obstacle, you can always buy a cable HDMI To DVI.

there is Other?

I see he does not exist in Polenter. (They have the bazooka that has no DP)

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

In June everything will work out? The MWC 2021 exhibition begins with a Corona-adapted version

Instead of a grandiose mobile celebration in Barcelona - we get a relatively small event in Shanghai this week, and plans for a European comeback this coming June The MWC (Mobile World Congress) was the first notable technological event to suffer last year's coronation, with naive restrictions in the first stage, Complete cancellation of the physical event afterwards - and at the same time promises that next year everything will return to normal, when it is likely that at that point in time no one guessed or predicted that even in 2021 ...

new on the site