Requests a recommendation for a mechanical keyboard for typing - Peripherals - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Requests a recommendation for a mechanical keyboard for typing

eyalroz

I am considering "diving" into the world of mechanical keyboards. My needs and preferences:

1. Type of use: typing, Not a game. (I do not have time to play in the last decades, unfortunately, and in any case I do not like games where the typing speed is significant ...)

2. Keypad: 104 keys and no less. It is also desirable no more. The keyboard and keys should be relatively wide - with no hassles or savings in place. "Normal size". You can slightly exceed the size if necessary.

3. Marking on the keys: I do not particularly care. Prefers English markings at least. It's nice if you have Hebrew, but can totally live without it. Also ready for a keyboard with no signs at all but prefers not to.

4. Keyboard lighting: Highly prefer no lighting or lighting that can be turned off. Otherwise - white or whitish lighting - not "colored", and uniform across the entire keyboard.

5. Switches: Oh, here comes the uncertainty. I'm typing on a keyboard today 200 model 1406, for five years in my opinion, and I'm used to it at the moment. There is noise in all typing, though perhaps not as in some mechanical switches. So I really do not need complete silence. I think I want a touch response on typing input. So is blue suitable for me? Or maybe a fever? Something else? Please recommend.

6. price: Because I'm trying an experiment, I want to avoid a particularly large expense. That being said, up to $ 100 and more shipping - in case the keyboard annoys me and I have to get rid of it. If you tell me this is an unrealistic budget - can be flexible.

7. Key height: I want relatively high keys. Not low-profile.

Additional Comments:

• I considered buying a keyboard Unicomp Model M, at $ 104 + shipping (at the top end of my investment willingness), but I couldn't decide if it was a good idea or not.
  • I have no problem buying from lesser known Asian manufacturers if people here in the forum recommend.
  • Ready to buy second hand.

I perused a bit of the thread on the mechanical keyboards - but its beginning is 9 years old already, and it has 60 pages so I did not survive.

Edited By eyalroz
Link to content

$ 100 in this area is not exactly "diving", but more wetting the feet.

Of course there are quite a few toys on the market in this price range, but if you take into account all the parameters such as the quality of the switches, the key caps, the case, etc., you will find that most of them are of very low quality. 

Of course, poor quality means poor performance, and the quality / typing experience is quite poor. 

At the "dive" level, usually only a set of quality switches or keycaps costs around your budget, but there is a keyboard or two that gives a really outstanding value, such as this one: 

https://drop.com/buy/drop-entr-mechanical-keyboard/details#details

Massive, built entirely of aluminum, includes high-quality pbt double shot keycaps, and a choice of not bad switches at all. (I would go for the gateron yellows), and also includes white backlight lighting. 

The quality of typing here is like a keyboard that costs at least twice as much. 

Yes, this is not a 104-key keyboard, which is basically just the addition of a numpad. 

Come on, TKL is the most convenient layout there is. And if you occasionally use a numpad, you can always add a separate one which is also more convenient for my taste. 

Edited By Roy.T
Link to content

@ Roy.T

First of all - thanks for the recommendation. Some questions about it ...

• When you say 'poor quality' and 'poor performance' or 'bad experience' - can you be more specific?
  • What characterizes the switches offered in Drop compared to the more familiar categories of Cherry MX?
  • I will seriously consider giving up the NumPad; But - how much did I need to add for a keyboard of similar quality, but 104 keys?

Link to content

Light and unstable keyboard, rattling, spring ping, scratchiness when pressing the keys. Hollow noise.

You can Google these terms to understand what they are. These problems exist in almost every cheap mechanical keyboard.

How bad it will be, it varies from keyboard to keyboard.

That you are part of the mainstream CHERRY MX is considered a well-known brand that can be trusted. Among the enthusiasts in the field of mechanics CHERRY MX

It's poop. And these are really pretty bad switches. This is something that will be impossible to understand until you have experimented with recommended switches.

A similar example would be in the field of headphones - if we take Sony and Boss and Apple - three brands that everyone buys their products and are sure that the sound they get is at the highest levels, until they try real high-end headphones, and then they understand what it really is At a high level, and these suddenly sound like tin.

The GATRON switches are actually based on the CHERRY MX, only they are significantly better in most cases. The YELLOWS are linear switches that come lubricated from the factory, which gives a pleasant and smooth typing experience, they have a balanced resistance, and a deep and pleasant sound.

Of course in general this is a basic switch and there is much much better than that. At $ 90 plus shipping for a quality full keyboard, probably not.

It's not a matter of money, in the community of mechanics lovers TKL it is often the largest layout. Most successful keyboards are 60% ~ 70% at most.

Therefore most of the really high quality mechanical keyboards you will come across that are not at the custom level (which you built yourself) will be up to TKL.

Link to content

If you do not play - you do not really need a mechanical keyboard. A good membrane keyboard (like the Lenovo Enhanced Performance) , For example) will suffice. I have had old generation ones for about 13 years. I realized the news was supposed to be a little even better.

If you are willing to invest $ 100 north - go for DAS Keyboard 4. Better with brown switches - for quiet. I have one and it's really great. Good build quality and is just comfortable. What's more - it does not come with a wrist restraint if it is important to you.

Link to content

If already the opposite - for 5 buttons do not need a mechanical keyboard. 

Aside from the fact that you are presenting things incorrectly, what is meant by "enough"?

Any keyboard of reasonable quality will "suffice", none of which will have typing or leg problems or a matter of ergonomics - all nonsense.

According to this approach, you also do not need an S500 to move from place to place, and a Toyota Corolla "will suffice".

That you type for hours every day on a basic membrane or mechanical keyboard at the level of constraint - just type what you need

And finish as fast as possible. That you work with quality mechanics, You enjoy the road, And that's the difference.

As one who sits on emails for about two hours a day, I had a Logitech G710 + keyboard for something like 7 years (CHERRY MX BROWN)

And I was sure I was at the pinnacle of quality, I didn't really enjoy typing, but I also did not suffer, and did not think at all about upgrading.

One day I was experimenting with a friend's custom high-end mechanical keyboard, then I felt that typing on Logitech is like typing on a board. 

This experience drew me very strongly to the hobby, which by the way exploded in the last year or two and with a meteoric rise, and one can find thousands of types today

Switches, CAPS, and cases cost from tens of dollars to thousands of dollars per keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkXGP3l7nzw

Link to content

Quote of Roy.T

If already the opposite - for 5 buttons do not need a mechanical keyboard.

For 5 buttons you need at least a keyboard that does not choke when you press 5 buttons at the same time. :) The units that can guarantee NKRO or at least 6KRO are mechanical. In membrane keyboards you can get something that is good enough or one that is not. It is difficult to know in advance.

Quote of Roy.T

Aside from the fact that you are presenting things incorrectly, what is meant by "enough"?

Any keyboard of reasonable quality will "suffice", none of which will have typing or leg problems or a matter of ergonomics - all nonsense.

Do not agree with you. As one who types a lot - ergonomics is very important. The buttons should be comfortable, not too soft, not too hard, not get stuck, give good feedback. The shape of the keys and the body structure of the keyboard are also important.

Like I said - there are excellent membrane keyboards and there are some that are complete rubbish. I got to work in both types, I know the differences very well. also There are different levels - but because it is a product that caters to a higher market in advance, the quality of construction tends to be higher in the base models as well.

Quote of Roy.T

As one who sits on emails for about two hours a day, I had a Logitech G710 + keyboard for something like 7 years (CHERRY MX BROWN)

And I was sure I was at the pinnacle of quality, I didn't really enjoy typing, but I also did not suffer, and did not think at all about upgrading.

One day I was experimenting with a friend's custom high-end mechanical keyboard, then I felt that typing on Logitech is like typing on a board.

I type more than you, so it seems. ;) And like I said I have both DAS KEYBOARD and membrane keyboards Good. Obviously the feeling in DAS KEYBOARD is better, there is no doubt at all. But it is not heaven and earth, and it is not something that is felt when one is in the "swing" of typing. In contrast, in a medium and low membrane keyboard - I feel the difference well, and prefer to avoid such keyboards.

Quote of Roy.T

This experience drew me very strongly to the hobby, which by the way exploded in the last year or two and with a meteoric rise, and one can find thousands of types today

Switches, CAPS, and cases cost from tens of dollars to thousands of dollars per keyboard.

exactly. It's your hobby. If it's a hobby - GO NUTS, as they say. There is one who enjoys the feeling of the keys, there is one who enjoys the noise, there is one who is actually colored by LED lighting.

On the other hand, a person who approaches the matter as one who is looking for a comfortable tool for work - needs to know what to expect. Again, everyone's threshold can be different. Someone will type on 600 all his life and will not care, and someone will look for the HIGH-END for thousands of dollars like you said. There is nothing 100% objective here. I totally stated my position based on my personal experience.

Edited By QttP
Link to content

5 buttons simultaneously : ) ? Well, I never claimed to be a hard-core , I usually press two at the same time at most, and that too with difficulty : ).

There is no relationship between ergonomics and the weight of the switch's spring resistance, to that which is linear, tactile, or clicky, or whether it is oiled or not, to its sound.

It's a matter of mere preference. A quality switch will be felt in each case.

This is exactly the point - you take the DAS as a reference for a very high quality mechanical keyboard, similar to what I had with the Logitech G710 +.

In practice, this is a keyboard that is built mostly of plastic, its switches are Cherry BROWN it is a really tactile switch at the lowest levels available, the keys

Its as thin as paper, so it is not surprising that you compare a very high quality membrane keyboard to a mechanical shelf keyboard and say that the difference is not heaven and earth.

You are more than welcome to lend me some two custom keyboards, I do not lack keyboards :), Just to understand the inconceivable difference there is

Between the keyboards as I said before, it is very difficult to convey the experience and experience in words to someone who has not experienced it himself. 

I did not claim that it is impossible to type on a decomposable keyboard of Of course it is, and it's clear to me that it does not come from a hobby point of view.

But my recommendation was in line with the budget he gave, no less and no more. 

If the value it gets will be several times better than a toy mechanical keyboard and will give it an experience and typing quality that will be a little reminiscent of

The one you get at those that cost hundreds of dollars and more, so, why not? : )

Link to content

Quote of Roy.T

5 buttons simultaneously : ) ? Well, I never claimed to be a hard-core Gamer, I usually press two at the same time at most, and that too with difficulty : ).

You really are not bronze cold . :)

Each action game: two directional arrows + action key - this is the minimum. Sometimes there can also be 2 action keys.

Beating game - same thing only you also have moves that require 3 action keys together.

You feel best when trying to play 2 players on the same keyboard. But it is already quite rare nowadays. In the DOS period it was more common. :P 

Quote of Roy.T

There is no relationship between ergonomics and the weight of the switch's spring resistance, to that which is linear, tactile, or clicky, or whether it is oiled or not, to its sound.

It's a matter of mere preference. A quality switch will be felt in each case.

Exactly my point. You talk too much about switches. In terms of ergonomics, there are more important characteristics to the keyboard.

Quote of Roy.T

I did not claim that it is impossible to type on a decomposable keyboard of Microsoft OfficeOf course it is, and it's clear to me that it does not come from a hobby point of view.

But my recommendation was in line with the budget he gave, no less and no more. 

If the value it gets will be several times better than a toy mechanical keyboard and will give it an experience and typing quality that will be a little reminiscent of

The one you get at those that cost hundreds of dollars and more, so, why not?

Man, this is all a keyboard. :D  I understand it's your hobby, but it's not like that for everyone. Like you said, these special keyboards are something of the last few years. I remember how a few years ago they argued here almost with foam of mouth about how much Cherry's switches are הNothing. So now it turns out that they too are on the face and anyone who does not have a custom keyboard just is not able to enjoy typing.

However, I do get what you say about the budget. You may want to order it instead of me trying one of your keyboards. 👍

Link to content

Well, do not start with "it's all a keyboard man" and get me out here some super nerd 😉

You could also say it's all "computer, chair, , "Watch" etc. Once there is a field or hobby that fills entire forums and probably sweeps millions

That there is a little beyond the "whole" : )

Besides, the man wanted a keyboard for $ 100, and got one of the best and most talked about keyboards on the market (by fans of the field) for exactly that amount.  

I did not try to push him to buy a custom keyboard for NIS 2000 :)

Yes because at the time CHERRY MX is mostly what was on the market. Today that the field has grown to monstrous proportions and with it a huge business potential, there are countless

Types of switches, and a significant number of them are much more successful, but also much more expensive.

Link to content

Quote of Roy.T

Well, do not start with "it's all a keyboard man" and get me out here some super nerd 😉

You could also say it's all "computer, chair, headphones, "Watch" etc. Once there is a field or hobby that fills entire forums and probably sweeps millions

That there is a little beyond the "whole"

Almost everything has its audience. For those for whom this is their hobby - it is very important. For others it is still "the whole". :)

Quote of Roy.T

Besides, the man wanted a keyboard for $ 100, and got one of the best and most talked about keyboards on the market (by fans of the field) for exactly that amount.

Did I miss something or are you talking about the DROP ENTR? Keyboard without NUMPAD (when he said 104 keys)? Besides DROP and all their products it By definition A niche of super-nerds. ;) 

Quote of Roy.T

Yes because at the time CHERRY MX is mostly what was on the market. Today that the field has grown to monstrous proportions and with it a huge business potential, there are countless

Types of switches, and a significant number of them are much more successful, but also much more expensive.

Although I did not get to try all those new swatches, I have previous experience. After all, when there was only CHERRY in the market all the mechanics lovers explained to all of us how much this "thing" is and that it is heaven and earth versus a membrane keyboard and we do not know what we are missing. So I experimented - obviously there is a difference, but heaven and earth? never happened and never existed.

And now there is a "second wave" and I am told that suddenly CHERRY is already tin, but the switches are new? Oh-oh, that's the thing the true. So now I'm skeptical. I believe you have a difference and even believe that for you it is significant (Even if involved here, as in any hobby of geeks, an element of self-conviction). I just do not believe the difference for everyone Will be significant.

Because if you ask the question from your previous words - if it was something that is beyond the "whole" - it would not only sweep communities of geeks, but the whole world.

Forgive me for bothering an old man. :D 

* Typed on a membrane keyboard ENHANCED USB *

Edited By QttP
Link to content

I forgave :)

Drop has built a very large community around the field of mechanics and audio (headphones and related equipment), the two areas that happen to be my main hobbies as well. I know quite a few companies that are active there and the community there is very diverse. And not just there, today the community in general is very diverse And is no longer just made up of nerds. Look at all the best-known YouTube channels in the field of computers and gadgets - unbox therapy, randomfrankp, and all these, always one in a few videos have a video of a new mechanic. 

Why? Because it's a super popular domain today, and these videos are gaining millions of views. It can be said that this field has already bypassed most of the areas of interest related to computers. 

I told him in advance that this is a TKL and if he can live without the addition of the NUMPAD it will be worth it. And besides you can always attach a separate NUMPAD if necessary.

It's clear to me that you did not experience, otherwise in life you would not react like that. Like I said it is impossible to explain in words something that needs to be experienced physically. Can you illustrate to someone the difference in taste between a fresh entrecote steak and an eye steak from the freezer at the supermarket? Impossible, so I suggested you take one to experience, to understand that it has nothing to do with self-conviction or any other element beyond a huge upgrade in quality and user experience. 

If the situation was reversed there is a situation I would have reacted just like you. Like I said I had no interest in the field and lived in peace with my logitech, until the moment I tried a custom keyboard, and the difference was a-z-m. And here comes my hunger to try different switches, different cases, keycaps, etc. I really did not plan :)

Except that the truth is you make some salad; First of all the switch is just one element in the whole. The case, the keys, the PCB, the damping inside the keyboard, each change will have one effect or another on the typing and sound. 

Technically you can take cherry mx preferably red and with a bit And quality parts to achieve a great result. But there is no reason to do it because in advance you can find better switches today. 

It has nothing to do with the first wave or the second wave, at the time cherry was what it used to be, and in combination with a case and good keys no matter if a custom or off-the-shelf product, there was definitely a significant improvement from an average membrane keyboard. 

Since then the field has developed frantically, and the difference is definitely heaven and earth. 

Edited By Roy.T
Link to content

"the first step to recovery is admitting" 😉

I am not strong in hospitality these days due to workload / children / Corona / constant fatigue.

But if you are from the area I will happily lend you one for a month or two so you can experience properly at home without stress.

Send me the HF whenever you want.

This is a custom keyboard of course so it is not really in the guy's budget, but while you have the keyboard you are more than welcome to share

Everyone who comes to you in "experience".

Link to content

Sorry about the thread snatch, but what is recommended for a programmer who wants to upgrade in day-to-day work? There is no real budget limit but you should not go crazy either, I probably will not feel the differences between a $ 200 and $ 1000 keyboard

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Popular now

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

Sony's Power Show

The Japanese maker has made an impressive appearance for its PlayStation 5 console, with a large number of new gameplay videos and some special surprises

new on the site