Switching between two NVMe drives - M2 - PC Technical Support - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Switching between two NVMe drives - M2

shadtal

Hello friends

I'm trying to connect two system drives (both - M2 and actually identical, evo 970)

In a slightly unconventional configuration:

One drive is connected to the motherboard, and one drive is connected with m2 pci adapter

The goal is to have two separate system drives, and when I want to take the secondary one with me, I pull out the adapter and the computer will boot from the drive that sits on the motherboard.

It should work, but as soon as I plug in the adapter and go into WINDOWS - a bot from the main drive, i.e. the one not on the adapter. Courses and restarts immediately upon entering WINDOWS.

A boot from the secondary drive does not work at all, instead of entering the operating system I installed there, it opens a blue screen with BOOT SELECTOR and the two options there lead back to the boot from the drive that sits on the motherboard.

What exactly is the problem?

(By the way if I connect the secondary drive directly through the motherboard - it works.

This is what the collapse looks like

https://streamable.com/dayu2l

Link to content

A. It sounds like a slightly crooked solution, but okay, your right. : )

(Like, you want to maintain two operating systems in parallel? For what?)

B. The last Windows installation was on the "removable" or "stationary" drive? You need to install On the stationary drive, when the "removable" is also available, after there is already a system installed in the removable. This will perform an installation that allows you to choose between them. I think when one of them is not available, it will be fine.

You can also do this, probably, manually, using bootrec.

Edited By Ido.G
Link to content

• 3 weeks later ...

After much trial and error I can refine the question:

When the adapter (PCI TO NVMe) is connected. The computer will restart at the entrance to Windows. From both drives. Both the one connected to the motherboard, and also the one connected to the adapter.

Even if only one drive is connected, through the adapter, and if the other drive is not connected, there will be a wristband (Video)

I.e. the adapter causes a shake.

If I reinstall Windows on the drive through the adapter - there will be a wrap in the middle of the installation. (Video)

Is the adapter not working properly or can there be some setting that will change everything?

Link to content

I think I once read that there are simply adapters that do not allow you to boot through them. Either ask whatever is appropriate, or it also depends on the board. : )

Maybe you should contact the support of the adapter manufacturer and the board?

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Sony's Power Show

Sony's Power Show

The Japanese maker has made an impressive appearance for its PlayStation 5 console, with a large number of new gameplay videos and some special surprises