Using an old router as an access point - Networks and Internet - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Using an old router as an access point

Raz .S

Peace,

I have a HOT HOTBOX router at home and with it I am connected to the Internet, directly by cable .

I also have another dlink2650u router that I want to set as an access point, which means it will receive a signal From the HOTBOX wireless network, then I will place it elsewhere in the house.

I tried everything possible .. I set it and it does not help .. still I can not get What a dlink ... something might know how to set it as an access point and create Between it and the main router - HOTBOX?

Thank you very much for any help! 😊

Link to content

Are you sure the dlink2560u can not be set as an access point?

Because first of all it is possible to choose the management of the router in a wireless access point and even scan and find the main wifi in the house, and it found me the wireless network that is in the house.

I know that the router supports 54 megabits per second and it does not matter to me .. Anyway yes it is possible to bridge from the main router to this secondary router and I still did not ... something know how?

Link to content

Well I can only see from what dlink indicates or does not indicate on the site. Anyway, if you say you have an option then you need the transmission from the main modem / router to support standard G. Usually this means putting the transmission technologies on automatic in support of a variety of standards in 2.4GHz broadcast including G. Maybe dlink is more limiting so try to set only G For experience. Now do this bridge only if you want to block the transmission capabilities of the hotbox modem as a router. @Raz .S

Edited By NR
Link to content

Clear clear...

I might explain what I did and why it still does not work.

I went to the main router and there I marked enable bridge (I did not turn the router into bridge mode) I added the MAC address of the link of the link.

In Delink's router I went to wireless and there I set up an "access point" that let me scan and found the wireless network at home. After that in the Delink router I turned off the DHCP and also changed the router address to be the same as the main router, just the last digit with a different number.

After all this I am trying to connect to the wilip of the dilink and still not From him ... I mean no between the two. Here I do not understand the problem and how to fix it

Link to content

On page 75 of their guide there is something called wireless bridge. In fact, as I understand it, this means that the router will receive a broadcast from a source Other and will allow to connect to it only via cable. I mean this is not quite a classic access point. try out. Anyway check also if it works when the dllink is closer to the hotbox.

@Raz .S

Link to content

In such a situation it does work. I mean I connect a cable Between the two I get On a wifi from the secondary router.

But as far as I know yes there is a possibility that the primary and secondary routers will be connected in a way , Because I saw here and there people who did manage to do it.

Link to content

Not exactly what I thought. The meaning is that through this option you may develop the ability to receive a wireless transmission to dlink, although it will not be able to transmit WIFI back. Anyway I guess the guide they brought does not cover all the options provided in the router. I'll try to see if I can find something more detailed. @Raz .S

Link to content

Try setting in the wireless bridge window as an access point and make sure bridge restrict is disabled. Now in terms of the wireless settings you will set what is possible on an automaton that it will take from the main router. This includes channels, speed etc ... @Raz .S

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site