New Seagate 4Tra Drive Works Really Slowly - PC Technical Support - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

A new Seagate 4Tra drive works really, really slowly

Peace,

I purchased a drive New 4Tra, an internal drive that should be used as storage for all the sailing I have on my computer.

Seagate Barracuda HDD 4TB Sata III ST4000DM004

I started backing up all the stuff and noticed that the writing / reading speed is so shocking and slow that the speed goes down to 0 and then goes up to 2 MB and then goes down back to 0.

A test of the Mark disk gives 75 megabytes in reading and 8 megabytes in writing. 

The drive is connected in SATA3 and all tests of Also showed that everything is fine, the drive is formatted in NTFS.

Beyond that I have no idea what can be screwed up and why there is such a shocking speed, maybe the drive is screwed up? 

Thanks 

Link to content

He may be screwed.

There may also be a compatibility issue or bug in the firmware. Some SATA devices in some systems go into a problematic loop of power saving that seems to constantly put it in and out of sleep mode. It causes symptoms as you mentioned (unstable speed, drops to almost zero from time to time).

1. Check the tools of Is there a firmware update for this drive

2. (Assuming it is a WIN10 system) Read here how to reveal the AHCI LINK POWER MANAGEMENT setting and turn it off:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72971-add-ahci-link-power-management-power-options-windows.html

Link to content

Thanks for the comment, I will definitely check out what you wrote.

As for the tough update so I have already checked it and there seems to be no update. 

I also contacted support for That does not seem to help so much beyond the basic things.

I will try the Power Management interest, if I do not try to return the drive to KSP or replace the new one directly with .

Thanks 

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Popular now

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site