Edited: Nikon D3100 Arrived today, impressions and comments - Digital Photography - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Edited: The Nikon D3100 Arrived today, impressions and comments

Raphael

Part of the old quote:

The following post was posted in the D-Spot forum, but I post it here too to hear more opinions.

I want to start filming, I have a desire and experience in the photographs. Although the equipment was really outrageous (because of lack of funds), the results were good.

Assigns a maximum of 2500 to 3000 NIS.

My dilemma is about the specific model. For a long time I did not deal with models.

Essential questions

Since the camera was bought and arrived today I change this subject to something more up-to-date.

After a long deliberation and a thorough market survey, I finally chose to buy the d3100 over the d5000.

Some key features:

-14.2 megapixels

- LCD screen size 3 inches 230K points, which is nice. Not yet the D90

- Sensor cleaning mechanism

Focus points like D11

- Extended ISO range to 12800 Although in practice it is very granular to pass the 3200.

- Capture and video in 1080P Which is the most important feature in this camera, and what is more important is that it automatically functions in both shooting and video mode. And yet, it's a bit problematic. Look at this video and you'll understand why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-Ez-pEXRk

The AF makes noise that is felt in photography. In this more noisy scene it is less expressed:

- New Connections: mini- Direct connection to TVs.

- Smaller but more comfortable body (compared to D5000) and lighter.

-New mode: guide, really nice for beginners. Explains in detail the functions of the camera in addition to illustrative images. I learned a few things.

Cons:

-No Bracketing. (Although it can be "overcome" manually)

-The 18-55 kit lens comes without . You need to specifically ask for a different lens that has it.

I discovered it too late. > :( >:( Now I'm stuck with it, and it's really annoying.

In-depth review:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3100/

Now to my personal aspect:

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied, the camera was exactly what I expected. really. I got hold of the D5000 hand and the difference is noticeable in terms of size and weight. I have not yet rubbed with the camera's operation but I'm not nervous about it. I was a bit pissed off to discover that there is no built-in image stabilization (VR) in the lens and that now you have to be really careful with the camera because every little movement blur the image.

The new buttons are really helpful. Apparently they did not just compare this head-to-head with the D5000. Notice a number of new buttons as well as a new position.

The video ... wow. Just an experience to shoot at such quality. See simply excellent in 1080P mode. Take a few examples :)

Rally video:

A nice example of the camera's ficus mechanism:

Link to content

I saw your post on D-Spot, but I'll answer you here (I think if you get answers there, they'll be similar to what I say).

In this budget I would not recommend you to enter the world of DSLR, it is too low. You can buy Canon G12 / G11 or alternatively a high-quality (DSLR-like) zoom like the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 for example.

If you still insist on DSLR, check the 2 hand palettes, you might find something interesting in your budget (Nikon D70s / D80 or Canon 30D / 40D / 450D / 500D) and pin a 18-135 lens (or another lens according to your budget) .

Link to content

The D70s whose honor is in place is already a dead horse. There is no point in buying such an animal unless the budget is very urgent.

I suggest you start looking at the basic corporate models for several reasons:

They are usually the smallest bodies.

They get you in the budget.

You can learn everything you can with your loved ones.

Benikon Look at the D5000.

If you're stressed out, D3000 is not as good at ISO high (one stop) but gives a high price. If you intend to use this body as a springboard until you buy a more serious body, then it is preferable.

Canon 450D can still give work. Also the 500D.

The 550D will happen to my taste.

Go to a photography shop, feel the bodies and play in the menus. Buy a body that is fun for you to photograph.

Your only chance to insert a macro into a budget is a manual lens on extension rings, or an inverted lens. In 2 cases Canon / Nikon has no meaning.

Since you are a little bit not specific, and you seem to have no experience, consider starting with the 18-55 kit lens and developing experience and appetite. It is also relatively compact.

In Canon it is important to follow the established version, the previous one was not so sharp.

Some lenses are better, more expensive and more specific. But in the absence of any explanation about yourself, that is my recommendation.

Link to content

As it is written here, do not try to jump too high. If you want to experience "serious" photography, you have to start with standard subjects and stendrategic focal lengths (nowadays this is mostly the 18-55 of the kit lens).

My recommendations are similar to those already written here -

Canon - 450D second hand for example. My brother has such a body with a kit lens (18-55 stabilized) and Canon's affordable 50 / 1.8, which is a great combination for the beginner. 500D can be achieved a little more and with improved image quality.

Nikon - Personally, I prefer the Nikon and Pentax Eergonomics, and it's easier for me to recommend these companies. The disadvantage of the D3000, D5000 is that they do not support autofocus in old Nikon lenses (they do not have an internal engine). Besides, the D5000's image quality is superior - better than all Canon has to offer on APS-C today. If in the future you will progress to Macro. Lenses - 18-55, a bit more money for 18-105 and also consider adding the 35 / 1.8.

Pantax - the other hand occasionally has K200 or K10 / K20. These are older cameras (for example, without LV), the quality of the image they offer is not bad (similar to the Canon, a little less than the modern Nikon), the K10 / K20 may feel too big / heavy. The quality of the construction (and in my opinion also the ergonomics) is significantly higher than the canon and the Nikon mentioned above. New has the KX that gives a good image quality (almost at the D5000 level). In terms of lenses, Pentax's 18-55 is not bad. They recently took out an 35 / 2.4 lens, but you have to wait and see more data (and the price will drop).

More in terms of lenses - if you have the patience to sit on the other hand market and you are willing to try manual focus, you can find in a second hand interesting old lenses that will let you experiment with a relatively modest price. For example, Pentax 50 / 1.7 or Helios 58 / 2.0. Once there were excellent Pantomax Tacom lenses (with a universal M42 chassis) - but collectors pushed their prices up and are less profitable today. Note that manual focusing is most likely to be more convenient for objects with a high quality viewfinder (such as Pentax K10 / K20, Nikon D80 / D90 or Canon X0D series) and precise focus with a quick lens will usually require replacing the focus screen (plastic piece under the prism).

Next - do not forget a tripod (you can use a second hand, it's important to be built in a quality and stable manner) and flash (you can have a cheap manual flash - like I bought on 200 NIS via eBay and works fine).

Macro is expensive, technical and demanding, and I would only go into it later.

Link to content

I saw your post on D-Spot, but I'll answer you here (I think if you get answers there, they'll be similar to what I say).

In this budget I would not recommend you to enter the world of DSLR, it is too low. You can buy Canon G12 / G11 or alternatively a high-quality (DSLR-like) zoom like the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 for example.

If you still insist on DSLR, check the 2 hand palettes, you might find something interesting in your budget (Nikon D70s / D80 or Canon 30D / 40D / 450D / 500D) and pin a 18-135 lens (or another lens according to your budget) .

There are no comments yet. : - \

The D70s whose honor is in place is already a dead horse. There is no point in buying such an animal unless the budget is very urgent.

I suggest you start looking at the basic corporate models for several reasons:

They are usually the smallest bodies.

They get you in the budget.

You can learn everything you can with your loved ones.

Benikon Look at the D5000.

If you're stressed out, D3000 is not as good at ISO high (one stop) but gives a high price. If you intend to use this body as a springboard until you buy a more serious body, then it is preferable.

Canon 450D can still give work. Also the 500D.

The 550D will happen to my taste.

Go to a photography shop, feel the bodies and play in the menus. Buy a body that is fun for you to photograph.

Your only chance to insert a macro into a budget is a manual lens on extension rings, or an inverted lens. In 2 cases Canon / Nikon has no meaning.

Since you are a little bit not specific, and you seem to have no experience, consider starting with the 18-55 kit lens and developing experience and appetite. It is also relatively compact.

In Canon it is important to follow the established version, the previous one was not so sharp.

Some lenses are better, more expensive and more specific. But in the absence of any explanation about yourself, that is my recommendation.

You mentioned the matter of second hand. How much will this improve my purchase? I prefer not to buy second hand for a simple reason because I want something that will stay with me for a long time and without any potential problems of use or anything else.

I see an upgrade of the equipment in the future, and even the camera. I'm based now, I can invest. A tripod is currently not included in the device because I do not need it for the near future. So you can download it.

Some models I had heard about in my humble experience, and I wanted to be more interested in them:

D80

pantax kx

450D

Now I want to emphasize that I have not yet used any of the cameras you mentioned on this subject. Everything is quite new to me. And I understood that it was better to go to a professional and reliable place and to hold on - Camera and see how it feels. Do you know such a place in the north? (Haifa-Krayot-Afula-Tiberias)

My focus is like this: + Lens (funigman mention 18-55, is not that a bit too fisheye for start?) + Card .

And something else, is automatic focus something that is obligatory for someone who just enters the more serious realm? Does not this have an intermediate position?

And how much difference is there between slr and dslr? Does anyone have a link to an article that explains in detail the differences, and why this is the next place in terms of cameras after compactness?

Link to content

Try to get a DSLR friend or relative for a short experience, it's better than playing a few minutes in the store and help you understand that you are interested in such an animal.

With the APS-C camera (all cameras discussed here), the 18-55 lens corresponds to 28-85 in 35 format.

I see an upgrade of the equipment in the future, and even the camera. I'm based now, I can invest.

If you go for a DSLR or any system of changing lenses, the body is a little money - most of the future investment will be on lenses - when a suitable new lens starts from 2000 NIS ...

You mentioned the matter of second hand. How much will this improve my purchase? I prefer not to buy second hand for a simple reason because I want something that will stay with me for a long time and without any potential problems of use or anything else.

A camera used by an amateur (not a professional photographer) with a few thousand clicks at most should not do too many problems, of course, like any secondhand product - you take a risk in return for the lower price.

As for lenses - there are great lenses in the second hand market at not bad prices. Do not look for bargains, quality lenses keep their value well, but on the other hand they are also very long lasting - I personally have some lenses from the seventies - the early eighties that work great.

Link to content

I personally recommend you to Pentax KX is With its incredible image quality and sensor that is considered to be the best sensor from any of the aps-s cameras, which at high altitude will give you amazing results. For a second hand, you have some second-hand Pentax like the K10 for the price of 2000 Excellent with a professional body.

As for lenses without a ficus automaton I think this is what suits the starting photographer.

Link to content

• 1 month later ...

Bounces the issue because I'm going to buy one of the above cameras within a week or two and need a final consultation.

After a brief tinker with 2 cameras Pentax KX and Nikon D5000, I kinda closed on these models. Both in terms of dry data both + - at the same level as I am looking for.

I decided that I would also buy an 18-105 lens that would give me a better breathing space than the 18-55.

But a little turning point. I saw that at the extra price of 1000 I can bring the D-90, which is listed in every way. Is it worth it to me?

http://www.zap.co.il/model.aspx?modelid=714373

D-90 3200 ~ 3300 NIS

http://www.zap.co.il/compare.aspx?sog=e-camera&modelsid=727465,742025,687179

2400 + -

In comparison, the price is similar + - but here comes the D60 equation with similar characteristics.

Link to content

Image quality in D90 and D5000 is the same.

The D90 is larger, with more control buttons and with Ficus engine.

You're worth a thousand shekels, depending on you, your style of photography, and the set of lenses you'll be using.

D60 Inferior to D3000. Pricing has nothing to do with reality. There is no reason to buy it and pay more for less.

The order of models in Nikon's opening cameras:

D40

D60

D3000

D5000

D3100

Link to content

Image quality in D90 and D5000 is the same.

The D90 is larger, with more control buttons and with Ficus engine.

You're worth a thousand shekels, depending on you, your style of photography, and the set of lenses you'll be using.

D60 Inferior to D3000. Pricing has nothing to do with reality. There is no reason to buy it and pay more for less.

The order of models in Nikon's opening cameras:

D40

D60

D3000

D5000

D3100

I do not have a thousand shekels extra, and certainly not with the lens I want to bring. But I've heard a lot of good things about the D90 and that's why it fits into the equation.

As for the same quality as the D5000 I will check Google already.

So the D60 dropped from the chapter.

kx VS. D5000

Link to content

Guys have recent comments?

I have found that there is a difference in favor of pentex in night photography with high iso, and a body smaller than the Nikon. Disadvantage: A fixed screen (not as articular as the Nikon) and a really poor selection of lenses. Significant advantage: Cheap 600 shekels from Nikon.

Nikon has a large selection of lenses, and an articular screen. This is the main advantage, the rest are so minor that they do not exist.

Based on the dry data, it is very worthwhile to buy the Pentax.

But I'm not so close to taking something with a "less good" name.

Is my fear justified?

Does anyone have experience with Pentax in a breakdown and customer service? Maintenance of the camera and components?

Editing, is part of my sources:

A review of the benefits of Pantax on a selection of cameras from the same price group:

http://www.radiantlite.com/2009/09/pentax-k-x-vs-competitors.html

Pictures of the pentex opposite the Nikon:

http://laptopmemo.com/2010/05/07/preview-nikon-d5000-vs-pentax-k-x/

(For some reason it seems strange to me that the bit with the Pentax font is too big ... the Nikon is much more "light")

Link to content

If you think of a professional direction (work for money) - go for Nikon. If you're thinking about demanding nature / bird watching photos that require super-long lenses (those that cost thousands of dollars) - go for Nikon (though the D5000 would not fit you in that case).

If not - up to a range of 200 mm does not really have a significant advantage to Nikon - when it comes to amateur photography, it is more difficult (but possible) to get Pentax lenses in Israel. Despite this and others, there are second-hand Pentax lenses (I have three), but I need more patience. Pentax has outstanding backward support - what NikonCom does not have (in terms of focus and light measurement) and stabilization in the body.

The reliability and reliability of Nikon and Pentax are very good.

In the end, there is no overwhelming advantage to either. Hold the two cameras, be impressed by them, choose the one that feels "right" in your hand.

Link to content

If you think of a professional direction (work for money) - go for Nikon. If you're thinking about demanding nature / bird watching photos that require super-long lenses (those that cost thousands of dollars) - go for Nikon (though the D5000 would not fit you in that case).

If not - up to a range of 200 mm does not really have a significant advantage to Nikon - when it comes to amateur photography, it is more difficult (but possible) to get Pentax lenses in Israel. Despite this and others, there are second-hand Pentax lenses (I have three), but I need more patience. Pentax has outstanding backward support - what NikonCom does not have (in terms of focus and light measurement) and stabilization in the body.

The reliability and reliability of Nikon and Pentax are very good.

In the end, there is no overwhelming advantage to either. Hold the two cameras, be impressed by them, choose the one that feels "right" in your hand.

I ordered at the end the Nikon lens with the 18-55vr kit. I wanted to order the 18-105 but it is already very expensive (a story of 1700 NIS and above) and this will probably keep for the future.

I do not think of it as a profession, but more as a hobby I will deal with a lot. I spoke with a few shop vendors and understood that Pentax's service in Israel was bad and even lacking, compared with the excellent Nikon, which in the end was what made the choice for me.

I got a good price (3260 NIS including a card Of 4 GB + extended warranty for 3 years + fancy carrying case + lens) from a guy I trust.

Thank you all for your help and participation in the selection process. You helped a lot.

Link to content

Since the camera was bought and arrived today I change this subject to something more up-to-date.

After a long deliberation and a thorough market survey, I finally chose to buy the d3100 over the d5000.

Some key features:

-14.2 megapixels

- LCD screen size 3 inches 230K points, which is nice. Not yet the D90

- Sensor cleaning mechanism

Focus points like D11

- Extended ISO range to 12800 Although in practice it is very granular to pass the 3200.

- Capture and video in 1080P Which is the most important feature in this camera, and what is more important is that it automatically functions in both shooting and video mode. And yet, it's a bit problematic. Look at this video and you'll understand why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-Ez-pEXRk

The AF makes noise that is felt in photography. In this more noisy scene it is less expressed:

- New Connections: mini- Direct connection to TVs.

- Smaller but more comfortable body (compared to D5000) and lighter.

-New mode: guide, really nice for beginners. Explains in detail the functions of the camera in addition to illustrative images. I learned a few things.

Cons:

-No Bracketing. (Although it can be "overcome" manually)

-The 18-55 kit lens comes without . You need to specifically ask for a different lens that has it.

I discovered it too late. > :( >:( Now I'm stuck with it, and it's really annoying.

In-depth review:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3100/

Now to my personal aspect:

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied, the camera was exactly what I expected. really. I got hold of the D5000 hand and the difference is noticeable in terms of size and weight. I have not yet rubbed with the camera's operation but I'm not nervous about it. I was a bit pissed off to discover that there is no built-in image stabilization (VR) in the lens and that now you have to be really careful with the camera because every little movement blur the image.

The new buttons are really helpful. Apparently they did not just compare this head-to-head with the D5000. Notice a number of new buttons as well as a new position.

The video ... wow. Just an experience to shoot at such quality. See simply excellent in 1080P mode. Take a few examples :)

Rally video:

A nice example of the camera's ficus mechanism:

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site