Help in Math Question - Study and Job Offers - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Help with math

kdani

The X ^ 2 + 9 function moved tangent.

At which point should the tangent be moved so that the tangent length between the launch point and the X axis is minimal?

my way:

I calculated the tangent equation from the slope (derived), and the point (x, x ^ 2 + 9) and found the tangent point of the tangent with the X-axis.

Then Pythagoras, and this should cut and find a minimum extreme point.

But it does not work out ....

Link to content

• תגובות 50
  • Opens on
  • Last comment

It came out of an equation from the fourth degree ... The point on the x-axis was X ^ 2-9 (/ 2X) and the second point is x, x ^ 2 + 9,

Pythagoras on this thing comes out really ugly .... and the derivative is reset to me in X = 0 that does not make sense (at this point the distance is actually maximal ....)

Link to content

It seems to me enough to make a derivative and compare it to zero (ie extreme point), the second derivative is 2 (greater than 0, ie minimum).

It has been proven that this is a launch point and that it is a minimum, from the placement we got a positive y (9) => but the original equation is always positive => and because it is a minimum, it is the point closest to the x-axis.

Perhaps it is possible to improve by the fact that such a equation is smiling and has a single minimum and start with it.

If for example this function was x ^ 2-9, then it would be more complicated because it has points below the x-axis.

Link to content

Of course 0 is the right answer. Think for a moment ...

Or if you or I did not understand the question ... If you are asked how long the tangent between the launch point and its cutting with the x axis you must know that 0 is the farthest answer, where the length is infinite (x does not reset throughout the entire range).

Link to content

Or if you or I did not understand the question ... If you are asked how long the tangent between the launch point and its cutting with the x axis you must know that 0 is the farthest answer, where the length is infinite (x does not reset throughout the entire range).

Yes, I looked over and realized something else.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Popular now

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site