Preparation for the first year in computer science - Studies and job offers - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Preparation for first year in computer science

ggg123

Hey!

This October, I begin to study computer science at Ben-Gurion University.

I have free time in the near future until my studies and I would like to use it in order to prepare as much as possible for starting the degree.

The goal is to allow myself to enter as soft as possible at the beginning of the year.

Please note that I have no background or knowledge in computer science or programming.

In the meantime, I began to watch "Introduction to Computer Science" classes on the Technion website.

What else could you do besides that?

Is there any programming language that is relatively simple and easy to learn in a short time, and that will also help me in some way in my studies?

Or maybe a good guide that gives a good foundation for programming?

I would be happy to guide you.

Link to content

• תגובות 151
  • Opens on
  • Last comment
And in the introductory lessons - what language are they talking about?

You mean the introductory lessons that I watch on the Technion website? Where C. is taught.

Ben-Gurion, as far as I know, teaches Java but I'm not sure ...

Link to content

Check the syllabus of the introductory course with which language you are studying.

If you've never programmed, start learning the basics from some good guide, you'll have a good start.

In the field of mathematics, it would be a good idea to learn the basics of set theory.

Link to content

Sorry to intrude on the discussion, but I will seize the opportunity and ask a question for Gil

As one who has been programming for about 10 years in all languages, an introduction to computer science will be quite lighthearted to me? How much work does this course require?

Link to content

In academia (mainly at the university), the emphasis is on analytical abilities, not necessarily on programming knowledge in one language or another.

In courses where you learn about programming languages, the subject of the syntax is relatively marginal.

Going more in the direction of what The compiler, what happens during running, the efficiency of programs, complexity, etc.

Knowledge of the syntax of programming languages ​​is an advantage, but those who have never programmed will have such a hard title.

To start the discussion, following what you have been recommended here, group theory is quite important and something that is really worth investing in.

Try to get official material from the university (I think I have a web site that students upload summaries) or get books from the Open University (Discrete Mathematics course).

And good luck!

Link to content

According to what I saw in the syllabus of the course (at Tel Aviv University) there is a lot of math, I would recommend that you reinforce that you will not get a nap in the first year, :)

I would be happy to know, why did you choose Ben-Gurion instead of Tel Aviv?

And also, why not a computer engineer?

Link to content

Sorry to intrude on the discussion, but I will seize the opportunity and ask a question for Gil

As one who has been programming for about 10 years in all languages, an introduction to computer science will be quite lighthearted to me? How much work does this course require?

It will be very easy. Throughout the course you will need to perform programming tasks in the style of sorting, blending, binary search, and a few simple programs that will let you control the syntaxt while simultaneously realizing some similar basic things.

According to the syllabus, JAVA is taught.

Are you saying to abandon the C that I have already started and learn JAVA?

Is there a recommendation for a good guide?

Just search the web java tutorial (or the programming forum here on HWzone)

Link to content

According to what I saw in the syllabus of the course (at Tel Aviv University) there is a lot of math, I would recommend that you reinforce that you will not get a nap in the first year, :)

I would be happy to know, why did you choose Ben-Gurion instead of Tel Aviv?

And also, why not a computer engineer?

Indeed most of the first year is mathematics, and I indeed take a refresher course in mathematics through the university to repeat the material that is important for the first year and also marked for myself the theory of groups and will try to pass on it too.

As for Ben-Gurion, we tended to consider the comfort of living and living, and I understood that there was no reason to prefer Tel Aviv to the Palmach.

As for computer engineering, I had a great deal of deliberation between computer science and computer engineering, and I decided to go for a degree that focused more on software than on hardware.

Why? It just seems smarter for me to go to one end of the field and focus on it at the highest level than to be hanging between two areas.

- - - Unified response: - - -

It will be very easy. Throughout the course you will need to perform programming tasks in the style of sorting, blending, binary search, and a few simple programs that will let you control the syntaxt while simultaneously realizing some similar basic things.

Just search the web java tutorial (or the programming forum here on HWzone)

Thanks Gil.

I went directly to the university course site, and there are recommendations for learning materials.

One of these is the following guide, written by one of the lecturers:

http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~intro141/wiki.files/prakim-cs.pdf

I would be happy if you would quickly check the quality of the guide and go over the topics and content in a rough way.

Right now this guide looks like my best option because it was written by a lecturer from the department.

Link to content

What are the courses of the first semester at Ben Gurion? You need to know to recommend a good preparation :)

Of course, more useful experience, but the emphasis is less on the syntax of the language and more on the logic of what you write - to meet the requirement of complexity, to implement the favorite sorting algorithms The responsible lecturer, etc.

Link to content

What are the courses of the first semester at Ben Gurion? You need to know to recommend a good preparation :)

Of course, more useful experience, but the emphasis is less on the syntax of the language and more on the logic of what you write - to meet the requirement of complexity, to implement the favorite sorting algorithms The responsible lecturer, etc.

Courses:

Chava A 1

Introduction to logic and set theory

Algebra 1

Computer science Introduction

As for the introduction to computer science, it is known that you do not need to come with a programming background and start from 0. On the other hand, I have some free time and would like to soften my studies as soon as possible. That's why I want to learn at least the basics.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Popular now

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site