Software development studies - certificate for the engineer - studies and suggestions work - HWzone forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Software development studies for certificate studies - for an engineer

Ido.G

Peace,

I am an industrial and management engineer who deals mainly with database development / SQL programming (some people like the name "Application DBA"). Some part of my work is also devoted to "industrial engineering," but this is a smaller part. The job is varied and interesting, but I feel stuck in it.

I am considering doing Ma'ayan's "converting profession" and trying to become the "spearhead" of the software industry - that is, to be a software developer ("programmer"). The considerations are: (a) I think it is interesting and (b) - the money is there. I'm kind of tired of feeling "second class" even though I do not think I'm falling for my talent and breadth of knowledge in the field where I'm working with a lot of software developers. But this is the situation on the market and must be completed.

If anyone thinks it's related, I'm currently studying for a master's degree in industrial engineering and management at Shenkar (who remembers - I started at Haifa University, but I quit because I did not "connect" with the population).

I know .NET and C # at a low to moderate level. Know the basics, understand what's going on, but do not pretend to get complex things and understand software development (not code). From time to time I develop classes I implement in SQL Server. I think I have relatively good self-learning abilities, but in the end, it's very hard for me to spend time studying this self. It is difficult and even harder to present the "receipts" to future employers.

I saw the plan And it seems interesting to me. So some questions, I'd love to know what you think:

• How much do you think there is a difference in terms of the knowledge learned between this program and programs in competing schools?
  • How much do you think employers will be impressed by this school differently from other schools?
  • How much do you think it will be easy to become a programmer in the industry, after my current experience, my education and the course in question? At what wage levels do you start? (I do not really want to get off ...)

Please leave the discussion with me, without cliches and nonsense.

Thanks in advance

Link to content

Have you ever met a programmer who had a training certificate for programming (sounds like a good recipe for occupational instability)? Why invest in something so messy in levels like "programming for the environment 8 and App Store. "Is the hot / trendy market today is" training programmers .NET Platform & Tools Environment Visual Studio 2013 "?

What prevents you from sitting at home and just learning to program without a course (at least at the level you would get in that course)?

Have you heard about the DevOps concept?

Link to content

I did not hear. I read about it now, in a nutshell. It's not clear to me what you mean with him.

Yes, I know an electronics engineer from the Technion who did a conversion through a professional course.

I agree with you that there is little value to learning some technologies (as a basis), but in the end you are supposed to learn something in a course, do not you? Sometimes there are employers looking for people who understand a specific platform / technology. Programming principles I already know. There is nothing in principle that prevents me - and the fact is that I have done it before. I went through a C # book (of John Sharp ... and started doing things). But it's hard to learn really when you have no complex goal in front of your eyes, like at work. In addition, at the moment what is preventing me is mainly lack of time (I do master's degree). In any case, in the end, it is always easier to study in the course. at least for me.

I thought of quitting at some point and dedicating my time, several months, to studying the subject. I do not see how I do both, and also (work + master's degree + study it and invest in developing things at home to really assimilate knowledge). I think it will be easier and more likely to do this in a course that creates some commitment. Of course I will not pay for a course just to make a commitment and I expect a little more than that.

Again - the question is how an employer will be frustrated about it. Are there no employers to change such a certificate?

post Scriptum

The question you ask is why I do not learn alone. I want to emphasize again that the goal is not only to learn the subject, but also to succeed in integrating into a suitable position.

Link to content

What about downloading a title gear (fewer courses in a semester), finding some purpose (building a small website or To help you with something) and to lengthen your waist?

The reason I mentioned the DevOps is because it's more about sitting on a seam between someone who understands only by writing code to someone who understands the operation of the site, and with your background as a DBA, maybe it could be a ticket for a job that will sit you better.

Link to content

What I understand is mainly a method. It's not clear to me where I'm supposed to go in there and how.

Right now I'm not most interested in downloading gear. Maybe I'll consider the future, I do not know. Do you think that "Portfolio" includes Or a website can help more than a diploma in the field?

Link to content

So you do not exactly understand. You should scan the market situation and see what the options are and what is worthwhile. Also, what exactly will you do for your master's degree in the DBA sign in which you are engaged and / or in the programming field you want to enter? If you already have a degree, why not describe in the field you want?

I do not understand / expert on the market situation, but for a position that pays well enough (as opposed to what you have in the field and notes that this is something that bothers you elsewhere), I do not think the certificate will be the front door.

Link to content

There is almost no importance in the field of IT. He would not give anything directly. Indirectly, in the long term - I believe that education is useful.

Why? Because I am an industrial engineer and an educational manager. I am interested in continuing to delve deeply into this field in my academic education. I think that academic education and professional education are two different things (usually - and it is clear to me that not every employer sees it this way). Just for that matter, I definitely think (convinced) That a DBA with an engineering or scientific education can be a much better DBA.

If I understood everything "exactly", I would not consult. I'll think about these things, thank you.

Link to content

In my opinion, some programming course or another will not promote you anywhere, these courses and the Corsists have a bad reputation.

As an engineer you can go for the program of the Open University - http://www.openu.ac.il/programs/l17.html

They study undergraduate courses in computer science, the course is loaded and not easy, but they teach computer science, and not just how to program (learn about Java and some C).

The track is not well known but it has a good name. On resume you can list the courses and note that they are at the undergraduate level.

Link to content

Because at the moment I decided I did not feel like making the year of perfection

By the way, the program in question will require a lot of perfection

post Scriptum

The question was about a professional course. I am aware of the very existence of a master's degree in the degree and the possibility of making one. This was neither the question nor the purpose of the discussion.

Link to content

What about the development towards a DBA based on data that is not SQL based? It's also a more "reputed" profession and usually better money, but it seems quite simple to switch to a standard DBA for regular programming.

Regarding the DEVOPS, this is a relatively new method of work (I got to work for three months before I resigned after I did not receive the salary I agreed on). In principle, what you do is work all the way through the service, design, characterization, integration and problem solving. In the traditional work method, there are technical supporters, there are integrators, and there are programmers. In the DEVOPS method you are in fact All of them and maintains a continuous line of work among all the classical functionaries. With the main emphasis on DEVOPS being integration and addressing problems, even though you are also involved in later development stages. By doing so you can have experience both in developing and maintaining your IT work. Since there is a huge shortage of experienced DEVOPS personnel, almost everyone with experience in any product stage in high tech (from a supporter through an integrator to their program) will have suitable experience in the field of work.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Popular now

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

Sony's Power Show

The Japanese maker has made an impressive appearance for its PlayStation 5 console, with a large number of new gameplay videos and some special surprises

new on the site