So what exactly is special about OSX? - Linux, Mac and other operating systems - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

So what exactly is special about OSX?

I played a little with OSX and its experience of general use very much reminded me of using Linux and BSD, which I understood is based on Darwin (which in turn is based on UNIX and BSD etc.)

Apart from the software What exactly is special about OSX and makes it unique?

I considered buying a mobile phone But I was not so excited about the operating system.

Link to content

• תגובות 30
  • Opens on
  • Last comment

It's not just os x, it's the combination with the hardware. Although there are people who run the Akintush but I think it is a negligible minority.

For people without different ideologies for the open source or against the "closed garden" of , It's a very similar system to Linux that works from the box.

Link to content

More or less, yes.

I would add a reservation (before jumping on with the batons) and say yes, there are also laptops where you can install Linux from one of the popular distributions and everything will work from the box (ubuntu, arch, fedora, etc.).

But a lot of Linux and Gix are making the leap to the past few years because they are sick of being the sysadmins of their computer. Google, for example, has more than a fleet 40 is one thousand, And IBM is going to purchase between Dozens of hundreds of thousands To their employees in the coming year.

Link to content

Ah

So the idea that it just works without any fuss.

Nice

But when you work with OS X on a daily basis with Photoshop in volume files 20 + MP, the system tends to get tired as quickly as possible.

In addition to the system there are problems of memory leakage in the Safari, and the Pinder itself has multiple tabs.

The thing I hate most about OS X is the colorful wheel that just paralyzes the whole system sometimes for up to half a minute, and it's really frustrating, I do not understand why Does nothing about it.

OSX has two features that I really want to see in a win like Quick Look and labels.

Link to content

The thing I hate most about OS X is the colorful wheel that just paralyzes the whole system sometimes for up to half a minute, and it's really frustrating, I do not understand why Apple is not doing anything about it.

I do not remember seeing too much of it in my Mac and it's another very old computer. It's not that they do it on purpose, the colored wheel says the system is waiting like you have on the Windows Cursor of the wheel. In case you encounter it when the system responds slowly or not at all.

If you are working with very large files in Photoshop and the system responds slowly after a while you probably do not have enough memory and then things that need to be saved in RAM are saved in SWAP. Of course it is much slower and slows the computer (just like in Windows)

And do not know about memory leakage (I can try to follow it although I do not even work with Safari), but the system has become relatively heavy after yosemite

I checked the memory used after more than a week that the computer is turned on, There seems to be no leak at least not from Finder. Only now I do not have anything heavy running, the heaviest here is .

Link to content

He works well but definitely loves resources. So all the Macs that I work with are with 16GB and disk In another computer, the computer crawls. You can not target everything for your convenience like Linux and there is no such thing as thin distribution to weak computers. Their file explorer is just a horror. For people who love to put a lot of money on their computer.

Link to content

I do not remember seeing too much of it in my Mac and it's another very old computer. It's not that they do it on purpose, the colored wheel says the system is waiting like you have on the Windows Cursor of the wheel. In case you encounter it when the system responds slowly or not at all.

If you are working with very large files in Photoshop and the system responds slowly after a while you probably do not have enough memory and then things that need to be saved in RAM are saved in SWAP. Of course it is much slower and slows the computer (just like in Windows)

There's no such thing as WIN just maybe on old computers, I'm working on a new Mac Pro and suffering from this problem,

Check Google "sbbod"

Link to content

• 2 weeks later ...

APPLE is good for many things but I think the OSX is not quite as convenient to work as a desktop, at least for the programmers we've built.

My main problem is that there is just one way to do anything. If you do not know how to do something you have no chance of guessing.

For example, in Windows, which is much more messy, there are several ways to do things. And if it seems logical to you that it will work there is not a bad chance that it will work.

For example for copying files you can click the right button, you can drag with the left button, you can drag with the right button.

On Mac you have exactly one way to do anything. For some reason sometimes you can not create a "spontaneous" library in a particular place, it took me a while to find out that in such a case I could go to the top toolbar and choose NEW FOLDER EXACTLY instead of doing it on the work panel.

Or just copy files I have made IMPORT from my device. You have to click with the mouse but wait a second and then drag. If you drag without a second click or if you start pressing when the window of the PHOTOS is not in focus it will not work.

In Windows (7) you can even delete and copy files from OPEN FILE DIALOG. For example you want to save a file and you notice that you saved it in another name previously accidentally. Then you can delete the file with the wrong name within the DIALOG of the new save. Not closed if you can do it on Mac.

Windows has a lot of problems of its own They are simply at the other end of the minimum mess and only one way to do anything.

Link to content

APPLE is good for many things but I think the OSX is not quite as convenient to work as a desktop, at least for the programmers we've built.

My findings today say the opposite. See picture below :P

On Mac you have exactly one way to do anything. For some reason sometimes you can not create a "spontaneous" library in a particular place, it took me a while to find out that in such a case I could go to the top toolbar and choose NEW FOLDER EXACTLY instead of doing it on the work panel.

Do not have any toolbar. Right click and you have the option to create a folder. If you are hard with this it is also possible with cmd + shift + n

But probably because of how the permissions system works on UNIX-based systems you will have folders with a normal user you will not have access to them and you will not be able to create folder names

In Windows (7) you can even delete and copy files from OPEN FILE DIALOG. For example you want to save a file and you notice that you saved it in another name previously accidentally. Then you can delete the file with the wrong name within the DIALOG of the new save. Not closed if you can do it on Mac.

This is also possible

kVz9hcv.png

Link to content

What is meant by the system that works from the box? Why, Windus is not like that?

Mac hardware is the same hardware, there is nothing special about it.

Works from the box compared to Linux. Not in the picture here because a lot of people are working with technologies built primarily for linux.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Amazon's parade continues

Amazon's parade continues

Come and be impressed by another list of great prices for quality hardware products and gadgets that can make your credit cards work overtime