1080 vs. 4K Gaming - Video Cards - HWzone Forums
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Gaming 1080m 4K

Hey friends.

In recent years a lot of reviews and benchmarks refer to performance in games at resolution .
What is the use of gaming at such a resolution on a standard 24-inch screen within normal sitting distance (i.e. not gaming on in the living room)?
What will give me gaming in 4K that 1080 will not give in these conditions?

It just seems like we've gotten to such a high graphics processing power that in 1080 it's very easy (relatively) to play any game of the day on maximum settings with cards that are not the top of the top.
And because of this it was necessary to push the power requirement upwards to differentiate the performance of the cards in the high models to the low ones in the benchmarks.
But on a day to day basis for the gamer, it does not seem to have any real benefit ....

I would be happy for your professional opinion on the matter.

Post Reply Direct Link To This Post

On a 24-inch screen really "4K" is irrelevant unless you are sitting right on the screen, but on larger screens there is definitely a noticeable improvement in image quality.
But what I do not understand is why you jump straight from 1080P to "4K" having "2K" right between them and this is the resolution where most of the new gaming screens come from.

By and large you are right. There is also 2K.
But my question was not directed at the specific resolution but more in the direction of "what gives me gaming on more than 1080?"
Again, under average conditions of - That is, a computer screen up to 24 inches in size within normal sitting distance, 40-50 cm ...
The other cases like gaming in the living room on screen I can understand. 60-80 inch screen a little too big for 1080. But in most cases this is not the case.

In 24 there is no justification for . I also do not think there is a lot of selection of screens. 4K is not set to 24. 

At 27 I see an improvement over FHD but I estimate that in terms of resolution I would settle for QHD. I went for Because of other benefits that are on the screen.

Quote of jackhammer

By and large you are right. There is also 2K.
But my question was not directed at the specific resolution but more in the direction of "what gives me gaming on more than 1080?"
Again, under average conditions of Gamer - That is, a computer screen up to 24 inches in size within normal sitting distance, 40-50 cm ...
The other cases like gaming in the living room on screen TV set I can understand. 60-80 inch screen a little too big for 1080. But in most cases this is not the case.

When there is a large screen right in front of your face that fills most of your field of vision, the gameplay experience is significantly upgraded in my opinion. And it's hard to get (without compromising on quality) with low-resolution screens so go for it .

Edited By captaincaveman

A very interesting discussion. Beyond the matter of size there is also the matter of performance. When generation rtx 2000 came out the headlines cried true gaming! In practice this is suitable for a small niche of players. I personally would be very wary of this resolution, no one assures me that I will not have to compromise on graphics settings next year to achieve a stable 60 fps.

I personally am right now debating whether 2k will hold a stable 144hz for years to come with 3080. 

It seems to me that I would rather maximize all the settings on 1080 than go up to 4K but download some of the settings so as not to stifle the hardware.
In addition to the fact that I agree Not so mainstream, not in variety and especially not in price.
So for the very small benefit in the very specific cases that gaming in 4K gives, I would prefer to stay at 1080 over maximum settings.

Again, like I said at the beginning, if it's about living room gaming on At 70 inches it's something else and of course 1080 will not be enough (especially in fast games) so it depends on everyone's situation.

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site