Can software that uses a processor frequently but not sequentially harm it? Processors, Motherboards and Memories - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Can software that uses a processor frequently but not sequentially harm it?

Achilles

I use a lot of scanned Judaism software called Treasure of Wisdom. The software contains tens of thousands of books that are encoded in a type of file unique to the software, and can be browsed and browsed through the software. Each 'browse' in the book basically opens the next page from the file, and a test of CPU usage (through the task manager) shows an increase in usage of about 20% for about half a second. Recently, a completely new version of the software was released, with the files being re-encoded in a new file type that takes up less storage space. As a result, and perhaps more changes, in the new version tested on the same computer each page is seen as using a processor of about 50%.

The question is this: since normal use of software can flip hundreds of times an hour, can this 'jump' in using the processor hundreds of times an hour at a time for half a second harm it or cause increased wear (I mean something beyond normal)? The question concerns me as I am debating whether it is worth upgrading to the new version.

The processor in the computer being tested is i5 generation 8, but the question is relevant to any processor.

The software is working on .

Thanks in advance!

Link to content

Join the discussion

You can then join the discussion and then join our community. If you already have an account with us, please Log in now To comment under your username.
Note that: The comment will appear to the surfers after approval by the board management team.

Add a comment

×   The content pasted is with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically assimilated.   Show as regular link

×   Your previous content has been automatically restored.   Clear all

×   You can not paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site