Installing a Linux driver according to manufacturer 's instructions - Linux, Mac and other operating systems - HWzone Forums
adplus-dvertising
Skip to content
  • Create an account
  • About Us

Hello Guest!

Please note - in order to participate in our community, comment and open new discussions, you must join as a registered member.

Our members enjoy many advantages, including the ability to participate in discussions, enjoy raffles and promotions for members of the site, and receive our weekly content directly by email.

Do not like being harassed by email? You can register for the site but do not submit your registration to the weekly email updates.

Installing a Linux driver according to manufacturer's instructions

I downloaded the installation file. In the home folder.

The installation instructions are listed

Quick install

=============

In terminal,

1) Goto source directory

2) Execute make command as root

make

make install

My question is in the terminal how do I get to the source folder?

This is the filename

XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_1.00.tar.gz

I was told that if the file is in the home folder then you do not have to register anything or register / ~

So I only registered the file name at the terminal but the terminal told me that the command was not found, and I understood that there was no need to execute an order

So I registered in the terminal sudo make, and the terminal does not prepare anything.

What is the reason?

Link to content

From what you must be aware of:

Many hardware manufacturers have no clue how things work in Linux. They just throw out some installer for saying there's an installation .....

In many other cases, the installer is fine, but it is designed for those who create the Linux system and not for the user

And I say that installing through make install overrides the install manager, if all the consequences of it:

- No protection against collisions

- There is no certainty that the installation will not destroy someone else in the system (perhaps in a way that it will not increase)

- No uninstall

- Maybe everything will work fine, but it will be destroyed after that when you update something else (kernel, udev, init ...)

With regard to udev and init, in the past several years there has been a lot of lagen in the matter and realistically most systems today Use a single block that unifies these operations, which are significantly less than the standard blocks that were or are incompatible with them - there is room for problems if any installation file is built to work if the standard blocks previously installed on the new system.

Link to content

Extract the files from the compressed file that you downloaded to a specific folder.

Navigate through the terminal to this folder.

Then make a command

I understand until now in the terminal

cp This is a copy command

rm This is a delete command

This mv is a transfer or rename command

cat is a command to show the bulk of the information in the file

My question is what command in Linux to navigate to any folder?

Link to content

The first questions you need to ask yourself are what the respondents asked you on the previous page. After that and only if you have what to look for in the software you are trying to install, all the rest

Only one user asked me and I replied that I believe this program has more possibilities for music.

So I'm interested in how to install it.

Link to content

ארכיון

This discussion has been archived and new comments can not be added.

• Latest news

• Buzz-Zone: Everything hot on the net

• Create new ...

At the top of the news:

new on the site

Amazon's parade continues

Amazon's parade continues

Come and be impressed by another list of great prices for quality hardware products and gadgets that can make your credit cards work overtime