The browser, the same software used for surfing the Internet, has undergone many vicissitudes over the years. Remember, in the not so distant past, the selection was very meager to nonexistent. There was a time when the biggest players in the field were Netscape and Explorer until the latter won and became the leading browser in the market (partly because it is a default browser in Microsoft's operating systems). In recent years, the undisputed control of Explorer has experienced several difficult shocks and the browser's market share has been shrinking. Today, the consideration of choosing a browser does not start and ends quickly, as the home page increases and the transition between the websites. Many features have been added to browsers such as: built-in search engines, tabs and their control options, support for various applications, adjusting various plugins, and more. We took a tour (or surf, if you like) the popular browsers on the market today: Explorer 8 and9
, Firefox 4
, And put them in the following series of tests:
- Browser loading speed - Tested from the moment the Hunter button is pressed on the browser shortcut until the home page appears. For maintaining consistency is selected Google As default homepage for all browsers.
- Page navigation speed - Tested from the moment the Hunter button is pressed Tested in navigating Israeli content sites such as Nana, Walla, Vgames and similar sites abroad: CNN, with the BBC and-Gamespy.
- HTML5 - Tests browser compatibility to the standardHTML5. The score is calculated by supporting the standard P-HTML5 Browsers receive bonus points when support is available Video And various audio.
- CSS3 - Another browser compatibility test, CSS3 selector examiner. The following selectors are not tested: Hover, Active, Focus, Selection because it is technically impossible to simulate certain user interactions with the browser.
- Extensions and Community - Today this is an important consideration to choose browser appropriate. The ability to customize and an extensive community that brings out interesting extensions are equally important features and load speed and navigation. to all browser We chose three extensions that seemed practical or unique as general recommendations both from special lists and from recommendations in the forums. We emphasize that this is a very subjective and subjective area that can not be empirically quantified as the other tests, so this field is more of a general impression of the level of community activity and its products than a definite determination of the perfect supplements.
We decided that these are the most important categories for all users. Whether it's casual users who just want to keep up with the weather and advanced users who need to keep up to date with a large number of sites from different sources, such as stockbrokers. All browsers were tested in their latest version (not including beta(
, In the default settings of Security
And interface and the same testing system so that all browsers will be tested uniformly without any changes that can bias the results.
The following system was tested on browsers:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Hebrew 64Bit
Although the 8 browser is no longer the newest browser from Microsoft, we decided to leave it in this review because we believe it is still very relevant even though 9 has been released a long time ago. Past experience has shown, more than once, that a community of users of a particular product Not in a hurry to switch to a more recent version
. At the end of each test, we summarized the overall experience of the browser and which target audience it intended.
Without wasting unnecessary time, he went straight to the tests. The first browser we will examine is also the oldest: Explorer 8.